Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a seated long arm  machine >

Looking for a seated long arm machine

Looking for a seated long arm machine

Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 PM

Question Looking for a seated long arm machine

Hi,

I am looking for a long arm that can be used on a table (no room for a frame). can you tell me what you have, what you like/dislike about it? I have played on a HQ sweet sixteen - it was really nice, but pricey...

someone told me about Bailey's Home Quilters - but really haven't heard about them before...

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2018, 01:30 PM

I have a sweet 16 and I love it. It isn’t picky about thread and runs smoothly. I did a king sized quilt with basically no problem moving the quilt through the machine. I don’t like the rear on/off switch, although I can just reach it from the front, it is a stretch. I put an 12” LED under cabinet light fixture under the harp, attached with sticky backed Velcro for extra lighting. Works well.
Would like a laser light for the needle position but the newer HQ frame machines have it so maybe the new Sweet 16 also has it.
It is a little pricey but I think worth the money.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:03 PM

Look for a used HQ16. I bought mine in 2010, used, with frame, etc. It has worked very well. My husband cleans it for me every 18 months to 2 years. When he opens it up there is very little dust, except near the head and in the bobbin area. But that is where you would expect it to be! I've had no timing issues, and the other issues I've had are attributable to "operator error'.

Qualifying the suggestion to look for a used HQ16 - try before you buy. (That means that you would have to find one fairly local to you.) Take a quilt sandwich with you and spend some time testing it. Otherwise you have no idea what you are really getting.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:53 PM

I have a Queen Quilter (Tin Lizzy) and love it. Have had no problems in the four years I have had it and have quilted lots of quilts on it. There are all kinds of You Tube vids in case there are problems. This machine sits like a regular sewing machine, not long-ways like the Sweet Sixteen...and it is metal sewing machine....not a plastic computer.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by granky View Post
I have a Queen Quilter (Tin Lizzy) and love it. Have had no problems in the four years I have had it and have quilted lots of quilts on it. There are all kinds of You Tube vids in case there are problems. This machine sits like a regular sewing machine, not long-ways like the Sweet Sixteen...and it is metal sewing machine....not a plastic computer.

The HQ Sweet Sixteen is a metal machine...

Rob
Old 08-02-2018, 06:44 AM

Innova makes a sitdown machine and I'm sure there are other brands too. Your best bet would be to go to a quilt show where most all the brands would be and try them all out to see what feels good under your hands. Plus customer service is very important too as well as price, options and how user upkeep they are. My Innova on the frame is so user friendly that just about any problem can be fixed by me talking over the phone to their Customer Service (Michael).
Old 08-02-2018, 12:00 PM

Unless they have something new, the Bailey is not a high arm, so even though you have width, you don't have height under the arm. That may be less of an issue if you do not have it on a frame.

I seriously thought of keeping my Bailey for a sit down machine when I upgraded to a true long arm, but decided to sell it with the frame instead.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:59 PM

Yes, indeed, the HQ16 is a metal machine.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:10 PM

I have a Janome Artistic 18. This machine has been discontinued. I think Amazon still has them and also Ken's Sewing may still have some. Mine was $2999.00 the first part of May. Good luck.. Oh, yes, I love mine.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:31 PM

Thanks All - I need to look for some quilt show close.