View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 06:01 PM
givio

I like the one on the left, hands down! no question about it!-- even though the seams of the background don't meet the seams of the center. :-) I just like the look of everything set on point.

It looks like on the left example you can get the points of the center closer to the seam line of the block, by squaring up your blocks to where the points should be. I think it looks okay to have odd sized pieces around the edge. It would seem sort of like a crumb background in a way.

The example on the right seems like you will have the center floating in the background. The background on the right could have all uniformly sized candy pieces all the way out to edge maybe, but if not, then I wouldn't use it for sure.

Maybe it depends on if you want your points out to seam line, or the center floating. Maybe it depends if you care if your background has different sized pieces, or exact sized pieces.

If you are going to make half of each type of block, then set them checkerboard, I'd for sure use the example on the left (after squaring it up to have the points meet at the seam line), because the seams of the light and dark would line up diagonally across the surface of the quilt (along with horizontally and vertically). I would be like sewing Square in a Square blocks together.

Last edited by givio; 07-31-2018 at 06:11 PM.