View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Steelsewing View Post
I think the question here comes down to defining 'some' leather work. Leather is such a undetermined thing. If you're speaking of thin garment leather then many vintage all-metal machines should suffice. It's when that thin piece of leather becomes four layers or eight, or the leather you're using is much thicker - that's when you can begin to stress any sewing machine. Help us all out here and little and give us an idea of what sort of application. As thick as denim or canvas? Twice that thick? The Singer 28/128 was produced from the 1880's into the 1950's, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you may find slightly newer models more convenient when say... buying bobbins.
I just read your blog and enjoyed it. Especially the one where you decided to keep some age characteristics on the machine. I finally got the Singer 15 treadle I played with as a child. It was made in 1922 so by the time I played on it it was about 25 years old. It has sat in a house covered and unused for about the past 35 years. It seems in good shape but very dry. Very little dirt. No rust. I don’t want it to look new but want it to be clean and sew. I’m working on it. The cabinet has some wear but I’m just going to clean it up. Welcome to the board.