Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with machine capabilities. >

Help with machine capabilities.

Help with machine capabilities.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:25 AM

I don't know how happy you would be with a 128, considering it's a 3/4 machine. I would not underestimate it, but another good choice would be something like a Pfaff 30, it's the type of straight stitcher that's likely to turn up at a good price. In original condition they are well worth a fix up. It's a heavy machine, the advantage would be the domestic size and affordability. It can be found in cabinets as well as portable cases. It's definitely an all round straight stitcher for every day use. The heavy duty industrials are larger and heavier, they often need a table and motors are much stronger and a bit more expensive to repair or replace. You need a model with a higher foot lift for layers of 4 millimeter thick leather; leather machines are often compound foot, and tend to be more of an investment. If you have the space for it go for it, but you likely need something like a 201 or Pfaff 30 along side it for lighter jobs.

I have to say I think my 201 could cope with the same folded straps as his Pfaff 30, but I would up the needle size. Pfaff 30s tend to have stronger motors too, so keep the original motor and have it serviced if needed. This shows about the limit of what you can fit under the presser foot, and your start point for the jobs you want to do shouldn't really be at the outer limits of these machines. Pushing it now and then shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CstzkntXKX8

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-08-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Banned

Another thing to consider is the 28/128, besides being a 3/4 size machine, is a long shuttle machine and as such the bobbin doesn't hold much thread.

Cari
Old 08-08-2018, 11:36 AM

Thanks Mickey, my machine is doing better with a bigger needle. I swear I was told that skipping stitches on thick things is because the needle cant go through the fabric fast enough so you should use a smaller one but a size 20 is working well
Old 08-08-2018, 12:02 PM

I think that might come from another member here, but what she describes is way too thick layers of material; when the layes of fabric is high enough to push the presser foot up to top postion like when it's lifted, some models release thread tension automatically, others aren't as affected, which can cause loops under the fabric, etc. It's not really affected by needle thickness or any slowness cause by resistance in needle punch and stitching; the mahcine stays perfectly timed for challenge like that. Thread tension on 27 and 28 is manual though, these models should take seam bumps rather well.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-08-2018 at 12:14 PM.

FREE Quilting Newsletter