View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 11:26 AM
ninab

Default Best FMQ machine quandry...

I just rec'd my Quality Sewing & Vac newsletter/catalog, and they have some amazing prices on sweet machines! My wallet doesn't seem to parallel with the price points. lol

I'm saving for (I think) a Juki 2010QI b/c I've read it's a great FMQ machine due to available space. Now, I have a little Brother CX155LA (I think a bag of flour weighs more) - and somehow managed a grid pattern on my first quilt (queen size) but omword, it was horrific.

Having looked at the amazing "real estate" on some of these machines, I wonder if the juki is really a good choice when it comes to the harp area. The juki would be a reasonable purchase 999-1100.00 vs. the 1800+ of some of the other machines. I am totally not interested in a machine that also embroiders, I'd use mine for garments and quilting. I have a Brother 1034DX serger which finishes garment seams nicely, and the small Brother CX155LA does a good job with button holes, etc.

With respect to harp space and performance, what do you all feel would be a best buy machine? The J seems to have a really solid build, less computerization to go awry, affordable price point, basic whistles and bells - though it's only a straight stitch.

I've been out of sewing for 15yrs (until the last six months) and have just begun quilting.

Thanks!