Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best FMQ machine quandry... >

Best FMQ machine quandry...

Best FMQ machine quandry...

Old 08-13-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Best FMQ machine quandry...

I just rec'd my Quality Sewing & Vac newsletter/catalog, and they have some amazing prices on sweet machines! My wallet doesn't seem to parallel with the price points. lol

I'm saving for (I think) a Juki 2010QI b/c I've read it's a great FMQ machine due to available space. Now, I have a little Brother CX155LA (I think a bag of flour weighs more) - and somehow managed a grid pattern on my first quilt (queen size) but omword, it was horrific.

Having looked at the amazing "real estate" on some of these machines, I wonder if the juki is really a good choice when it comes to the harp area. The juki would be a reasonable purchase 999-1100.00 vs. the 1800+ of some of the other machines. I am totally not interested in a machine that also embroiders, I'd use mine for garments and quilting. I have a Brother 1034DX serger which finishes garment seams nicely, and the small Brother CX155LA does a good job with button holes, etc.

With respect to harp space and performance, what do you all feel would be a best buy machine? The J seems to have a really solid build, less computerization to go awry, affordable price point, basic whistles and bells - though it's only a straight stitch.

I've been out of sewing for 15yrs (until the last six months) and have just begun quilting.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2018, 12:57 PM

I've had my TL2010Q for 4 years now. A bit like you, I'd been away from sewing for a long while. I did try quilting on my old Singer 411G, but it was a bit of a struggle.

The Juki has a 9 x 6 harp. The 6 in. height is a determining factor for me. Great visibility. Of course, we'd all like the biggest harp possible. However, prices seem to zoom right up there when harp size increases!

There are some machines out there with 11 and 12 in. to the right of the needle, but sometimes the harp is barely 5 in. So if you figure "square inches" of harp, you may as well stick with the Juki.

It's a great machine. I've done many, many quilts on it. Personally, I quilt projects up to about 76-80 inches wide on it. Anything bigger, I tend to do as "quilt as you go".

I've used all types of thread, cotton, polyester, anything from 12 wt Sulky to 100 wt Invisafil, as well as "invisible" thread. No problems.

I think Brother make a similar machine. PQ1500S, I think. Quilters like that machine too. But I'm a Juki gal ... I also have the HZL-DX7, which I use for piecing and decorative stitches.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:01 PM

Oops ... should have said: "sometimes the harp is barely 5 in. high". (Third paragraph above).
Old 08-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

I have had a Juki 9" x 6" throat space and I love it. If it ever needs to be replaced I will just look at them.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:33 PM

I use a vintage Singer 15-91, with a harp space of 7" x5", and a Singer 201-2, with a harp space of 8" x5". I got them both for under $150 total on Craigslist. They are both straight stitch only and real workhorses. A big plus for me is that I can do all repairs myself. I have no problems FMQ on them and love how they just purr along. If looked after right and oiled regularly they should last another 50+ years or more. Beautiful machines. Just an idea if your budget is tight.

Last edited by NZquilter; 08-13-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-14-2018, 04:01 AM

A big vote for any of the Juki straight stitch machines for the same reasons as Patricia Drew mentioned above - The tall & wide harp space makes it so much easier to see. FYI - I've quilted a few large queen sized projects this summer and prefer the open Juki harp space vs the longer but shorter harp space under my Janome. Additionally, it's a solid, solid machine that provides a beautiful straight stitch - you can't go wrong with a Juki

I purchased the TL2200QVP mini which is the newest version of the TL2010 because it came with a few extra feet - to me it was worth the add'l cost.

Keep us posted on what you decide!

Christine
Old 08-14-2018, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

I could not improve my FMQ on my Bernina so I bought a Juki TL2010Q and I love it!!!!!! I've improved so much with it. I heard it sews great as well but I use it for quilting and my Bernina for everything else.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I use a vintage Singer 15-91, with a harp space of 7" x5", and a Singer 201-2, with a harp space of 8" x5". I got them both for under $150 total on Craigslist. They are both straight stitch only and real workhorses. A big plus for me is that I can do all repairs myself. I have no problems FMQ on them and love how they just purr along. If looked after right and oiled regularly they should last another 50+ years or more. Beautiful machines. Just an idea if your budget is tight.
I use the same setup. I think those two Singer models are by far the best machines singer ever made
Old 08-14-2018, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

I have the Brother 1500. I won it so didn't choose it. I have used it for years to machine quilt and have no complaint. I recently bought a Arrow Kangaroo sewing table and that helped me more then what machine I use for machine quilting. The table is big enough for the quilt to lay flat as I am machine quilting it with no drag on it. The Arrow folds up for general sewing so it doesn't take up a lot of room.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:08 AM

Thank you all for wonderful information! Now I realize it's the height from top to bottom, not so much the distance to the right of the needle (though lovely to have) that makes the difference. Having wrestled (like a circus bear) my q-sized quilt in the tiny harp of my current machine, I totally understand where that height comes in VERY handy.
Having googled the SINGER models NZQuilter recommended, I see why folks hang on to these machines, and also why those featherlite (sp?) are beloved!

At the end of the day, Juki appears to be the winner. I can continue to assemble quilt tops, and sew garments, however, I can't wait to see my savings grow to the point of bringing home a Juki. (providing something around the house/car doesn't break and gobble up my Jukie $$ - houses/life seems to always be on stand by for stuff like that hehe).

The quality of stitching on the little Brother machine isn't bad, but I know it could be a bit nicer - and I have some beautiful 11oz Cone denim for some jeans I'd like to make, but I doubt the Brother will handle denim (esp top stitched seams). The Juki should whip through it w/no issues.

I *tried* to FMQ on my Brother machine (pot holder project) using the included foot (clear plastic). It was tough.

Then I bought one of those slider sheets, it was still tough.

Then I bought a 1/4" foot for use with dsm fmq rulers (yeah, and a couple of rulers). I put that 1/4" fmq foot on, and lawdy, I could barely move the fabric. The foot pressure is strong when using the quilting setting, so I realized pretty fast fmq-ing on this machine ain't happenin'. (Can't seem to adjust the foot pressure, but this a.m. realized there's a presser foot locking pin that might solve this dilemma)

So at the end, I started off w/a 200.00 machine to learn to quilt. Tired of not being able to find clothes to fit (6' tall - long sleeves/long pants in size 18 are either $$$$$$ or non-existent), I decided "OH, I need to start sewing again! Wait, I should get a serger... Oh, I this machine is too small for quilting, I need a different machine....
Now I have two (soon to be three) machines, a "paunch" of a quilting stash, rulers, interfacings, fusibles, asst'd tailoring tools, built a 36x72" work table, eyeballing a new iron...saving for a Juki... Meanwhile, I think "Who would spend 6k on a machine?" (and then I look around and laugh...)