Old 08-15-2018, 05:43 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Interesting. I have two Standard machines. One is a stout. It is set up for a motor - no belt groove on the handwheel. It runs off a rubber pullywheel against the handwheel. I have a spider for it but not a chain stitch plate. It will not chain stitch without the correct plate. If you buy the spider, buy the chain stitch plate, too. I’m thinking I’ll just cut the groove in the plate. The other Standard I have is a slim. It is set up with a belt groove in the hand wheel. Perhaps it was on a treadle (or not) I don’t know. I found manuals at Victorian sweatshop forum. I do know that my 90 year old mother could use it like she was born with it. She could no longer use her FW but she sat right down and sewed on the Standard. She could start the chain better than I could and get the chain stitch tail to come off with out unraveling when she pulled the fabric off.

So what is the story??? Mom said she had a “SINGER” just like it in college... and yes I am shouting for emphasis simply because there weren’t any Singers with that style head that chain stitched. (Note to moderators: please don’t cut my all caps out again or send me an email complaining that I am shouting because it hurts my feelings.) Besides every Singer I own has Singer in all caps right across the front of the machine. It may have been that “Singer” was a generic name for sewing machine in her mind. Anyway, she said she had a Singer just like it when she took her college classes in clothing construction. She said hers was on a treadle and it only chain stitched. She said the teachers really put her down for using it. However when she made clothes she got an A and her clothing did not rip out. Mom said hers was refurbished and bought second hand. That was in 1940ish.

Last edited by miriam; 08-15-2018 at 05:48 PM.