Old 08-28-2018, 04:37 AM
Little Lulu

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Have you ever tried a recipe and then realized that you could do the same recipe a whole lot easier in a different way? Don't get me wrong, this is an easy recipe and is quite tasty, but sometimes a simple recipe can be a whole lot better. The simpler way to make this recipe is at the end of this message.

Here is the long recipe:

No Bake Orangesicle Pie

Prep time: 1:10
Chill for at least 1 hour
Yield: 1 9-inch pie, serves 8

INGREDIENTS

· 1 ½ C heavy whipping cream
· 2 T Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
· 1 t vanilla extract
· ¼ C water
· 1 (3 oz) package orange Jell-O mix
· 2 (6 oz) containers orange flavored yogurt
· 1 9-inch graham cracker crust

DIRECTIONS

1. Pour heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract into a large bowl.
2. Whisk using a large balloon whisk for approximately 5 minutes, until cream reaches stiff peaks. Set aside. (I used an electric mixer)
3. Place water in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, or until it's just beginning to boil. Immediately whisk in orange Jell-O mix, stirring until dissolved.
4. Stir in orange yogurt. Fold in whipped cream until well mixed. Pour into graham cracker pie crust.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until set. Top with additional whipped cream and orange sprinkles for serving, if desired.

(DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT, Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.)

Everyone really liked the pie and one person was surprised that it wasn't store bought. I don't know if that was a compliment or an insult, but I took it as a compliment, since he finished his piece of pie.

Here are the problems I ran into making this pie: I found it almost impossible to dissolve 3 oz. of Jell-O in 1/4 C of water. It just wouldn't completely dissolve and I still could see crystals in it even though I stirred and stirred. So I mixed that Jell-O in a tub of Cool Whip and refrigerated it. In the end, I found out you didn't really need to have all of the crystals dissolve, just get it as much as you can.

The other thing I wish I had done differently was to find the orange yogurt, just orange yogurt. The store was out and only had orange cream, and the recipe really needed more orange flavor and I think the orange cream didn't have enough flavor of orange.

Later when I got home, I tried the orange Jell-O/Cool Whip mixture, not only did it set up firmer than the pie recipe, it really tasted much better. Who knew that it was that easy to make a pie that tasted like a 50-50 ice cream bar? So in the future, when I want to make an Orangesicle Pie, I will just mix it with 1/3 C boiling water into a 3 oz. package Orange Jell-O, then fold that mixture into a big tub of Cool Whip and pour it into 9" graham cracker crust, let it sit for an hour or more and then serve. Done! No fuss, no muss, just DONE! Can't think of anything easier than that.
So the recipe now is: 1/3 cup boiling water mixed with 3 oz. pkg Orange Jell-O folded into a large tub of Cool Whip and poured into 9" graham cracker crust. Let it sit for an hour.

You don't use any of the other ingredients...1 ½ C heavy whipping cream, 2 T Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar, 1 t vanilla extract, or 2 (6 oz) containers orange flavored yogurt?