Old 08-30-2018, 09:38 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

How to Make Perfect 6.5" 9 Patches
Many of you are pros at making perfect 9 patches, but for those who struggle, I have some tips. Blocks must be 6.5" square to be eligible for this swap (so they fit with everyone else's... ), and not just because I am mean. So how do we get that?

Start by squaring off a straight cut across your fabric or scrap. When you cut your 2.5" strips or squares, pay attention that your ruler line is on the fabric, not the mat. Then get your true 2.5" cut.

I have found that I have to sew a scant quarter inch seam. If I sew a full 1/4, my blocks come out too small. Every time. I have a scant quarter foot on my Juki that I use, but if you machine does not, you need to experiment and find a line on your machine bed, or place a piece of tape where that scant quarter line is. Then follow it!

After sewing, I press to the dark, and my little checkerboard 9-patch will have beautifully nesting seams. I also check to see that the center block or strip is measuring exactly 2", as it should.

When cross cutting strip sets, again square off a straight line perpendicular to the long edges and measure from there, with the ruler line again on the fabric and not the mat.

There are online tutes about how to spin seams at your four intersections, if you need them. It is not required that you spin your seams.

Lastly, take your 6.5" ruler and place it on your pressed block and sliver trim the edges. If something doesn't quite reach the 6.5" edge, you may have to pick open a couple of little seams and alter them slightly. You wouldn't believe how often I do this, so I can send the right size block.

Remember, 6.5"... not 6.25" or 6.75" or 6.5"x 6.25".