View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 07:36 AM
osewme

Default Height of mattress from floor to top (?)

As some of you know I have started back on my UFO California King Size Quilt top. Now I have a question about how much overhang I should have on the sides. About 10 years ago we had to buy a new mattress set & wound up getting one of those that are a lot taller from the floor than our old mattress set. This one that we have now is 24" from the floor to the top of the mattress. I want a pretty good overhang since I don't have a bed skirt & was wondering what would be a good length for the overhang. Last night I was thinking about 16" & that would put the quilt 8" from the floor. On the other hand, if we ever go back to the box springs & mattress that is not so tall would my quilt then drag on the floor (which I surely don't want)? Right now, I don't have a bedspread that totally covers over the box springs & I don't like that at all so I'm now thinking (as I write this) that I should made a bed skirt & make my quilt overhang about 14". That way it would hang completely over the mattress & about 2" over the box springs.

Has anyone ever made a bed skirt? As I get older I don't like a lot of detail work & time on things like that. I want a very simple one & have found a few DIY sites that I'm leaning toward.

This quilt project has my head swimming....I think I'm over-thinking everything about it.