Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Height of mattress from floor to top (?) >

Height of mattress from floor to top (?)

Height of mattress from floor to top (?)

Old 09-11-2018, 07:30 AM

I made a bed skirt for my queen size beds years ago. I used an old bottom sheet over the bottom mattress, added velcro on 3 sides. When I made my skirt I added the other piece of velcro to it so all I had to do is attach it using the velcro. I made my skirt is 3 separate sections as it was 3 layers each so lots of fabric. When it comes time to wash it, all I had to do it pull it off the bottom mattress and wash. Getting ready to make a new skirt but box style instead of gathered. Using the same fabric for the border of the quilt as the skirt too.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:06 PM

Suz- love the idea of using velcro! I have an air bed now, so it's very light, but before that I had waterbeds and getting anything tucked under them is a pain.

My current skirt is very plain, it just has box pleats at the corners and the rest is straight.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:10 PM

I made bed skirts for both my sisters to match their king size log cabin quilts I also made. I used wide-back backing to make a flat foundation that fits between the mattress and box springs. I put velcro to attach the rest of the skirt (the part that hangs from the top of the box springs to just above the floor. As previously posted, it makes it so much easier to remove just the 'skirt' for washing/ironing and starching, if desired. The velcro is plenty strong enough to hold the skirt. One of my sister's bedskirt is box pleats at the corners, at the half-way point between the head of the bed and the foot, and at the half-way point between the sides at the foot of the bed. It provides enough fullness so that the bedskirt doesn't 'bind'. My oldest sister loves gathered fullness, so her king-size bed skirt (just the draped skirt) is quite full -- I used 12 yards of fabric on hers. The thing about making them like this is it's just simple straight-line seams -- I have a blind-stitch hemmer cam with my 403-A, so the hems went really fast, too. It just takes a lot of measuring -- but they do turn out very well.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:31 AM

I bought my last bed skirt from Amazon. I love it because it has elastic around the edge and is very easy to put on the bed or take off for washing.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:08 AM

First, use a sheet or blanket or something and audition the heights to see what looks best to you - that is the size to make! Second, if you want to make a bed skirt, remember that you only need to make the skirt part. Attach the skirt to a sheet that is just the size of the box spring. The maximum you should need would be about 20", so you get 2 pieces from a WOF. Roughly figuring 7" for each side and 6' for bottom = roughly 7 yards divided in half, you would only need 3 1/2 yards to make the whole bed skirt plus an old sheet to attach it to. That is a flat skirt, calculate how much more you need according to how full you want it gathered or pleated.

Last edited by klswift; 09-12-2018 at 07:13 AM.