View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Rose_P

A lot depends on how well a tutorial is written, and some things are a lot easier to show than to tell. If there's a good video I'll watch it and then take notes that I can refer to. I don't really have a preference, as long as they cut to the chase and don't fumble around too much or, in the case of a video, have very annoying and repetitive music cluttering up the presentation. Quilting is a visual art, and watching a good video with plenty of examples can be much more inspiring than a written lesson with simple line drawings. Videos are especially useful when they're demonstrating some new equipment that I have never tried. For example, my serger came with a VHS tape, and I don't know how I would ever have figured that thing out without it.

Years ago I taught myself to knit and crochet from how-to books that had black and white pictures. I believe the same process would have been 10 times easier watching a Craftsy class. Also, I believe that watching someone doing a skilled task, such as FMQ, gives a person a feel for the timing involved that you could not convey with any number of words.