Old 09-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Kathy T.

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
I washed it because I got a spot wet, and the purple glue stick got purple again, and it freaked me out, lol. Also, its made from plaid shirts, and there were a few pieces that were a bit dodgy, and i was afraid they'd split at a seam when it was washed, and I wanted to know before I did all the work of quilting it. Also, I did a stupid thing when I removed some spots, and i was afraid there may have been a remaining piece of the white fabric that was still affected by the stupidity which would have made a hole after washing. So, it was mostly to check that the patchwork was in good enough shape to go on to the next step.

OK, I know you're all going to ask, so here's the doltish maneuver: I has some rust spots I wanted to see if I could get out, so I used some CLR bathroom cleaner. It's an acid, what could go wrong, right? Also, I'm sure I didn't rinse it out well enough, and when I pressed one of those spots, which had indeed disappeared, by the way, the was a scorched spot. Uh, oh... And when I scratched the spot, it disintegrated. Yeah, that's definitely gonna leave a mark, right?

Well, you know they say we learn our best lessons from our mistakes. It seems to be working for me...
Thanks for sharing your list of boo-boos. I, too, have had to learn the hard way sometimes and you made me laugh with your progression! Definitely some things I would have considered doing. I'd say trim only the threads that will show against the white and move on. You've learned a lot and need a win now! It will be a lovely quilt with all of those plaids.