Old 09-29-2018, 07:16 AM
Iceblossom

On one hand you may be overthinking it, if you enjoy it that is enough. You may be someone who needs challenges in their life and maybe you need to push yourself sometimes to find the challenge.

On the other hand, I have a theory that most people are looking for the thing that really resonates with them and that they are good at, finding their joy -- and maybe you haven't found it yet. We all get so caught up with the day-to-day aspects of living that we can miss finding our happiness, we all have different gifts and for some of us it is a simple thing. I use the example of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, seems like a really simple thing but I don't make them well. The peanut butter tears the bread, the jelly soaks through, the bread is a bit stale, whatever -- mine is usually a pretty unattractive lump. But other people spread just the right amount of peanut butter and jelly, they know what bread to use, and it looks like it should be on the cover of a magazine. Finding your joy doesn't always mean something is easy however, talk to authors or poets, some of them hate the process of writing yet they are drawn to it. Try new things, be open, find the joy!

For me I'm 58 now and I started quilting as a senior in high school, I don't come from a quilting tradition, it was just something I wanted to do. And then I wanted to do it again, and then some more. It is my creative outlet, and I enjoy seeing the progress I make, in my work life I did office work and when you shuffle paper around on a daily/weekly basis, it can be hard to see the progress. But with quilting I can see "today I cut X amount of fabric, I made X numbers of blocks", etc. I really enjoy the planning and piecing process, I even like the math involved. I'm not so big on the quilting part, I really need to find one of those lovely people out there who love to quilt and hate to piece so we could team up, but I do what I need to do to get the results I want.

And then on the third hand, you may be dealing with depression. If it is a lack of joy all around you and not just with the quilting (or whatever) you may need some help. I was first diagnosed as depressed before I started quilting and although most of my life I've been "high functioning" I've had some pretty bad episodes and it is one of the many issues I have to face. Some years I'm more productive than others, but I always find comfort in playing with my fabric.

Whatever hand it may be, I hope you find your joy.