Old 10-01-2018, 11:50 PM
Sleepy Hollow

I learned to quilt for one reason-- I have a quilt top that my great-grandfather made. So, I needed to learn to hand quilt in order to finish it. After a job/career change three years ago, I finally had more time to pursue new hobbies (there is a ton of downtime during my work shifts). I started with crochet (I wanted to learn to make a grannie square). Then I posted on Facebook that I was looking for a quilt group, and did anyone know of one. I was told there was one that met at the Senior Center every week, so I made a phone call and was told they were a "bit wild", but they would welcome me, and I did not need to be a senior. So, I showed up one day, and they started teaching me. A week later I was hand piecing and quilting a baby quilt for practice.

What I didn't know is how much I would love it! I go in phases. Sometimes I'm not motivated to pull out everything for the night. Other times I just want to "do nothing". Sometimes I finish one project and don't want to quite start another, so I don't.

So, I bake, or I cook, or I watch a movie and do nothing.

A few weeks ago I was finally able to nail my mom down and have her teach me how to knit socks. I don't really feel the need to knit anything else, just lots and lots of socks. Maybe someday that will change, maybe not.

For me, it's a mix. I had a fear of "missing my tools" (I had worked as a maintenance electrician before, and here I'm not allowed to use tools unless it's to open a valve.) I knew I was being presented with 20 years of downtime at work before retiring, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to use that to be productive doing things I want to do. So, I've picked up those hobbies.

The only one I'm still not doing, for now, is wood working. There is a carpenter shop at work where I could use the saws, rotor, etc, if I wanted, but there is a lot more risk for getting hurt, and that would be hard to explain. So, that one will wait until I retire and set up my own shop.

I can machine quilt, hand quilt, crotchet, knit, bake, cook, and watch movies, all while at work. Depending on the duties of the day/night, and what mood I am in, I'll work on one of those projects. Sometimes it's for a need (I'm hungry, I need to repair a pair of pj pants, I need to make a gift), other times it's solely for the joy of making something and being creative (for short bursts of creativity, I love the postcard swap!)

It's made taking a pay cut and leaving behind a job I truly enjoyed (but had to escape because of my boss) much, much easier. I have the best job ever now, and it's the best because it lets me do my hobbies while I'm at work. It's definitely been good for the spirit.