Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Rose_P

I make things, including quilts, for the rewarding feeling of accomplishment when something is completed and not too shabby. Like you, over the years I've tried a number of different things. Just in the last few years I've finally begun to narrow down my focus to two main hobbies, quilting and making scale miniatures (which I do only occasionally.

For years I hoarded a stash of counted cross stitch supplies and patterns until one day it hit me that I really did not enjoy doing that at all. I finished only a few things that were worth doing, such as a little framed design commemorating my brother's wedding in 1988. I remember that it gave me something fairly mindless to occupy my hands while I sat around in a hospital quite a bit with my DH who was recovering from a post-op infection after his appendectomy. That was two full years after the wedding I was commemorating, but at least it did finally get done and still hangs on the wall at my brother and SIL's house.

I enjoy baking, and continue to do it even though I'm not supposed to eat those kinds of things. Family and friends always seem to welcome them, but they're no sooner created than consumed. Quilts stay around a bit longer!

In 1974 I made one macrame project and found it to be an absolute ordeal, so those supplies were abandoned early on. Unlike many hobbies, at least that one was cheap.

I made quite a few knitted items over a period of 40 years, some of them okay, but I really never became a good knitter and didn't enjoy that much. So finally a year or so ago I donated a lot of yarn and some knitting needles, etc. (But I kept a few, just in case I want to make a hat or some other small project.)

I like to do thread crochet, and once in a great while I go back to that, but I know it will never again be a dominant force in my life. It's something I used to do in the evenings while watching TV, which I don't do regularly these days. Truthfully, as a gift, a doily or crocheted Christmas ornament or the like is just not generally received with an outburst of joy, and I don't have the patience for much bigger projects. Also, for the last 20 years I have spent much more time at the computer than the TV, and on the computer my hands are occupied with clicking and typing. Crochet fell by the wayside, I suppose because it's not something that's done in a dedicated part of the house away from distractions.

Just looking at my quilting room gives me a feeling of creative purpose that helps to define my days. Sometimes I hit unpleasant snags that result in disappointments or time spent kicking myself while I pull out stitches, but for the most part it's a pleasant way to spend time.

At the end of the day I have something to show for my efforts. Also, there's the wonderful feeling when you give a quilt to someone you care about that they have this item that speaks to them every time they use it about Mom, Grandma, Sis, MIL or Aunt Rose or their friend who cared enough about them to to make this just for them. At least, I have to hope they look upon my humble efforts in that way.

Thanks for posting this question. I enjoy reading about everyone's thoughts on their hobby/hobbies.