View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 PM
Sleepy Hollow

I have a recipe for a deep dish apple pie that I think would work well for you. And the crust is really, really good, no rolling required!! It makes a great, easy, no-fail bottom crust, then just top it with a dutch apple crumble. I combined four different recipes to come up with this recently...

You may need to add a couple more apples to fill a 9x13 pan, so keep that in mind. Otherwise, double the pie crust recipe and you should be good to go.

This is to make two regular pies, so ingredients are already accurate except where noted (with **)
[h=2]Cinnamon Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:[/h]10 cups (3 lbs or 7-8 apples) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick (**you may need a couple more apples to do a 9x13 dish--then I'd just add a tiny bit more of the other ingredients to keep the flavor balanced)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour *measured correctly
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces for the top

Topping (**do not need to double this, already enough for two regular pies)
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup butter, room temperature
1+ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS:

Make pie crust and refrigerate.
  • Preheat oven to 375°F.
Combine 10 cups of Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick with 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/8 tsp salt in a bowl. Mix well and let the filling stand for 15 minutes, stirring a few times in the process.

Make the topping.
  • In a medium bowl, with a pastry blender or a fork, mix flour, both sugars, and butter until coarsely crumbled. Add walnuts and mix in.
Take your pie dish out of the refrigerator and pour the entire apple filling mixture (juices and all) into the bottom crust and scatter pieces of 2 Tbsp of butter over the top.

Add the topping to the pie.
  • Bake at 375°F for 50 minutes.

Shortened version of pie crust recipe:
(**this makes one pie crust, double it for a 9 x 13" pan)

Pat-in-pan Pie Crust

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c plus 3 Tbs all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 c vegetable oil

3 Tbs cold milk

Directions:

Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the pie pan and mix with your fingers until blended. In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk and beat with a fork until creamy. Pour all at once over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened. Pat the dough with your fingers, first up the sides of the plate, then across the bottom.