Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Apple pie desert >

Apple pie desert

Apple pie desert

Old 10-11-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Apple pie desert

I am looking for an apple pie desert (or apple crisp), that is for a 9x13 pan. Something similar to apple pie, but a recipe big enough for a cake pan and with a crust that is not actual pie crust that has to be rolled out. (Ugh, I am no good at making pie crusts!) Any ideas on a recipe? I need to make an apple pie desert for lunch at Quilt Club next week as that is what the others on the lunch committee want us all to bring. Help....
Old 10-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Instead of pie crust, you might try doing a graham cracker crumb crust.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:32 PM

I use this recipe but I double the amount of crumble. I put half into the pan, then the apples, then the other half of the crumble.

https://www.recipetips.com/recipe-ca...pple-crisp.asp
Old 10-11-2018, 05:35 PM

https://www.crazyforcrust.com/easy-apple-strudel/

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/pe...3-8bbd00fe5334

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/h...4-00f9e6d984e6

Just a few suggestions.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 PM

I have a recipe for a deep dish apple pie that I think would work well for you. And the crust is really, really good, no rolling required!! It makes a great, easy, no-fail bottom crust, then just top it with a dutch apple crumble. I combined four different recipes to come up with this recently...

You may need to add a couple more apples to fill a 9x13 pan, so keep that in mind. Otherwise, double the pie crust recipe and you should be good to go.

This is to make two regular pies, so ingredients are already accurate except where noted (with **)
[h=2]Cinnamon Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:[/h]10 cups (3 lbs or 7-8 apples) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick (**you may need a couple more apples to do a 9x13 dish--then I'd just add a tiny bit more of the other ingredients to keep the flavor balanced)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour *measured correctly
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces for the top

Topping (**do not need to double this, already enough for two regular pies)
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup butter, room temperature
1+ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS:

Make pie crust and refrigerate.
  • Preheat oven to 375°F.
Combine 10 cups of Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick with 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/8 tsp salt in a bowl. Mix well and let the filling stand for 15 minutes, stirring a few times in the process.

Make the topping.
  • In a medium bowl, with a pastry blender or a fork, mix flour, both sugars, and butter until coarsely crumbled. Add walnuts and mix in.
Take your pie dish out of the refrigerator and pour the entire apple filling mixture (juices and all) into the bottom crust and scatter pieces of 2 Tbsp of butter over the top.

Add the topping to the pie.
  • Bake at 375°F for 50 minutes.

Shortened version of pie crust recipe:
(**this makes one pie crust, double it for a 9 x 13" pan)

Pat-in-pan Pie Crust

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c plus 3 Tbs all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 c vegetable oil

3 Tbs cold milk

Directions:

Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the pie pan and mix with your fingers until blended. In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk and beat with a fork until creamy. Pour all at once over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened. Pat the dough with your fingers, first up the sides of the plate, then across the bottom.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:18 AM

here is a link to Impossible French Apple Pie. I have used this recipe for years and it is really good. I use pecans in mine and any apple I have not granny smith as I do not care for tart apples.
A google search will show recipes for the same pie made in a regular pie pan, so you could try out before taking to the luncheon.
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...c-c841f5bb121c
Old 10-12-2018, 02:10 AM

How about a apple dump cake? Grease pan, then pour in 2 cans apple pie filling, then sprinkle dry yellow cake mix over the apples, put in some spices if you like. Melt a stick of butter, drizzle over it all, and also add some nuts on top if you like and bake @ 350 for about 25 minutes. Very Simple!
Old 10-12-2018, 02:29 AM

You can double this easy apple crisp recipe for a 13" x 9" pan. It's from The Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9” x 9” square pan.

Peel and core 3-5 apples (I use a mix of Empire, Granny Smith, and MacIntosh). Slice or cube and put into pan (leave a little room for topping).

Sprinkle apples with 2-3 T. lemon juice and ¼ c. white sugar.

Make topping:
1 c. flour
1 c. rolled oats
2-3 T. brown sugar
½ t. cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg and of allspice (or a little more)
¼ t. salt
5 T. melted butter or olive oil
Mix topping well and sprinkle over apples. Pat firmly into place.

Bake for 35-40 min. until brown and fruit is bubbling around the edges. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature, plain or a la mode.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:14 AM

I use to make this dump cake many years ago, but forgot how to do it. Thanks for the recipe.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:22 AM

Funny you should ask this question. We go to a friend's house every other Thursday & she makes a small meal & I take a dessert. I want to take an apple dessert next time & found this recipe that sounds good & easy to make. I haven't tried it yet but the reviews were really good. I plan to use 1/2 cup butter instead of 1/4 cup. Several of the reviews said there wasn't enough butter to mix with the graham crackers so they suggested increasing it. I'll use pecans instead of walnuts as we like them better.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...0?photo=145718