Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Apple pie desert

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    976

    Apple pie desert

    I am looking for an apple pie desert (or apple crisp), that is for a 9x13 pan. Something similar to apple pie, but a recipe big enough for a cake pan and with a crust that is not actual pie crust that has to be rolled out. (Ugh, I am no good at making pie crusts!) Any ideas on a recipe? I need to make an apple pie desert for lunch at Quilt Club next week as that is what the others on the lunch committee want us all to bring. Help....

  2. #2
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    33,293
    Instead of pie crust, you might try doing a graham cracker crumb crust.

  3. #3
    Senior Member JanieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    629
    I use this recipe but I double the amount of crumble. I put half into the pan, then the apples, then the other half of the crumble.

    https://www.recipetips.com/recipe-ca...pple-crisp.asp

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bright, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    607
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Sleepy Hollow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    916
    I have a recipe for a deep dish apple pie that I think would work well for you. And the crust is really, really good, no rolling required!! It makes a great, easy, no-fail bottom crust, then just top it with a dutch apple crumble. I combined four different recipes to come up with this recently...

    You may need to add a couple more apples to fill a 9x13 pan, so keep that in mind. Otherwise, double the pie crust recipe and you should be good to go.

    This is to make two regular pies, so ingredients are already accurate except where noted (with **)
    Cinnamon Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:

    10 cups (3 lbs or 7-8 apples) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick (**you may need a couple more apples to do a 9x13 dish--then I'd just add a tiny bit more of the other ingredients to keep the flavor balanced)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour *measured correctly
    2 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces for the top

    Topping (**do not need to double this, already enough for two regular pies)
    1 1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    2/3 cup butter, room temperature
    1+ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
    INSTRUCTIONS:

    Make pie crust and refrigerate.

    • Preheat oven to 375F.

    Combine 10 cups of Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick with 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/8 tsp salt in a bowl. Mix well and let the filling stand for 15 minutes, stirring a few times in the process.

    Make the topping.

    • In a medium bowl, with a pastry blender or a fork, mix flour, both sugars, and butter until coarsely crumbled. Add walnuts and mix in.

    Take your pie dish out of the refrigerator and pour the entire apple filling mixture (juices and all) into the bottom crust and scatter pieces of 2 Tbsp of butter over the top.

    Add the topping to the pie.

    • Bake at 375F for 50 minutes.


    Shortened version of pie crust recipe:
    (**this makes one pie crust, double it for a 9 x 13" pan)


    Pat-in-pan Pie Crust

    Ingredients:

    1 1/2 c plus 3 Tbs all-purpose flour

    1 1/2 tsp sugar

    1/2 tsp salt

    1/2 c vegetable oil

    3 Tbs cold milk

    Directions:


    Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the pie pan and mix with your fingers until blended. In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk and beat with a fork until creamy. Pour all at once over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened. Pat the dough with your fingers, first up the sides of the plate, then across the bottom.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    314
    here is a link to Impossible French Apple Pie. I have used this recipe for years and it is really good. I use pecans in mine and any apple I have not granny smith as I do not care for tart apples.
    A google search will show recipes for the same pie made in a regular pie pan, so you could try out before taking to the luncheon.
    https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...c-c841f5bb121c

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Waynesboro, Tn.
    Posts
    900
    How about a apple dump cake? Grease pan, then pour in 2 cans apple pie filling, then sprinkle dry yellow cake mix over the apples, put in some spices if you like. Melt a stick of butter, drizzle over it all, and also add some nuts on top if you like and bake @ 350 for about 25 minutes. Very Simple!

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,035
    You can double this easy apple crisp recipe for a 13" x 9" pan. It's from The Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen

    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9” x 9” square pan.

    Peel and core 3-5 apples (I use a mix of Empire, Granny Smith, and MacIntosh). Slice or cube and put into pan (leave a little room for topping).

    Sprinkle apples with 2-3 T. lemon juice and c. white sugar.

    Make topping:
    1 c. flour
    1 c. rolled oats
    2-3 T. brown sugar
    t. cinnamon
    Dash of nutmeg and of allspice (or a little more)
    t. salt
    5 T. melted butter or olive oil
    Mix topping well and sprinkle over apples. Pat firmly into place.

    Bake for 35-40 min. until brown and fruit is bubbling around the edges. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature, plain or a la mode.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jshep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    419
    I use to make this dump cake many years ago, but forgot how to do it. Thanks for the recipe.

  10. #10
    Super Member osewme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,633
    Funny you should ask this question. We go to a friend's house every other Thursday & she makes a small meal & I take a dessert. I want to take an apple dessert next time & found this recipe that sounds good & easy to make. I haven't tried it yet but the reviews were really good. I plan to use 1/2 cup butter instead of 1/4 cup. Several of the reviews said there wasn't enough butter to mix with the graham crackers so they suggested increasing it. I'll use pecans instead of walnuts as we like them better.

    https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...0?photo=145718

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
    You can double this easy apple crisp recipe for a 13" x 9" pan. It's from The Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9” x 9” square pan.
    Peel and core 3-5 apples (I use a mix of Empire, Granny Smith, and MacIntosh). Slice or cube and put into pan (leave a little room for topping).
    Sprinkle apples with 2-3 T. lemon juice and c. white sugar.
    Make topping:
    1 c. flour
    1 c. rolled oats
    2-3 T. brown sugar
    t. cinnamon
    Dash of nutmeg and of allspice (or a little more)
    t. salt
    5 T. melted butter or olive oil
    Mix topping well and sprinkle over apples. Pat firmly into place.
    Bake for 35-40 min. until brown and fruit is bubbling around the edges. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature, plain or a la mode.
    This one has a lot less sugar. Most of the other recipes here have waaay too much sugar. Most apples need little to no sugar. I once made an apple pie and realized as I was serving it that I had forgotten the sugar altogether. No one said a thing and the pie was gone in a flash.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

  12. #12
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,410
    Blog Entries
    1
    This is a recipe I recently shared that is for a 9”x13”. You can use any fruit, just adjust the seasonings to suit each type of fruit (I skip the cinnamon for peach, for example)l Enjoy!

    https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipe...p-t299551.html
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

  13. #13
    Super Member tesspug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,897
    I make this dessert because a dear friend can't eat gluten. There might be several people who would appreciate be able to have dessert. https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/...apple-crumble/
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,068
    The quilter, Elsie M. Campbell had an excellent apple crisp recipe on her website in 2009. I believe she was recuperating from cancer at the time she put that recipe up. I have used the recipe many times. I think it was posted under Aunt Mimi's Apple Crisp. I use an oblong baking pan and try not to make it too thick so there will be crunch to the topping.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Quilt Dreamland
    Posts
    1,356
    Here is the recipe........scroll down. ;-)

    http://www.elsiemcampbell.com/2009/10/

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    976
    Thank You all for the great recipes. Lots of good ideas.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Spring Lake, Michigan
    Posts
    919
    I know that you don't want to roll out pie crusts, but no one will know if you mess this one up...DELICIOUS!!

    APPLE LOAF PIE

    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1 cup shortening
    1 tsp salt
    1 egg(separated)
    milk
    2/3 cups crushed cornflakes
    5 cups sliced, peeled apples

    COMBINE 1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon

    Combine flour, 1 Tbsp sugar, and salt. Blend in shortening. Put egg yolk into cup , beat slightly and add milk to make 2/3 cup. Add to shortening mixture and mix just to form a ball.

    Roll out 1/2 of dough into 15" x 11" rectangle. Put onto baking sheet (cookie sheet with sides). Cover with cornflakes and then cover with apples. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup and cinnamon mixture over apples.
    Roll out remaining dough and put on top. Pinch edges together. Beat egg white until stiff and spread over top of crust (adds shine).

    Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. While warm drizzle glaze on top:
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 Tbsp lemon juice











    I know that
    Quote Originally Posted by aborning View Post
    I am looking for an apple pie desert (or apple crisp), that is for a 9x13 pan. Something similar to apple pie, but a recipe big enough for a cake pan and with a crust that is not actual pie crust that has to be rolled out. (Ugh, I am no good at making pie crusts!) Any ideas on a recipe? I need to make an apple pie desert for lunch at Quilt Club next week as that is what the others on the lunch committee want us all to bring. Help....

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,770
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsablazin View Post
    I know that you don't want to roll out pie crusts, but no one will know if you mess this one up...DELICIOUS!!
    APPLE LOAF PIE
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1 cup shortening
    1 tsp salt
    1 egg(separated)
    milk
    2/3 cups crushed cornflakes
    5 cups sliced, peeled apples

    COMBINE 1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Combine flour, 1 Tbsp sugar, and salt. Blend in shortening. Put egg yolk into cup , beat slightly and add milk to make 2/3 cup. Add to shortening mixture and mix just to form a ball.
    Roll out 1/2 of dough into 15" x 11" rectangle. Put onto baking sheet (cookie sheet with sides). Cover with cornflakes and then cover with apples. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup and cinnamon mixture over apples.
    Roll out remaining dough and put on top. Pinch edges together. Beat egg white until stiff and spread over top of crust (adds shine). Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. While warm drizzle glaze on top:
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 Tbsp lemon juice
    Way too much sugar in this. 1/2 cup would be plenty in the apples and I would skip the drizzle or use just a few tablespoons for looks.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.