Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Apple pie desert >

Apple pie desert

Apple pie desert

Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
You can double this easy apple crisp recipe for a 13" x 9" pan. It's from The Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9” x 9” square pan.
Peel and core 3-5 apples (I use a mix of Empire, Granny Smith, and MacIntosh). Slice or cube and put into pan (leave a little room for topping).
Sprinkle apples with 2-3 T. lemon juice and ¼ c. white sugar.
Make topping:
1 c. flour
1 c. rolled oats
2-3 T. brown sugar
½ t. cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg and of allspice (or a little more)
¼ t. salt
5 T. melted butter or olive oil
Mix topping well and sprinkle over apples. Pat firmly into place.
Bake for 35-40 min. until brown and fruit is bubbling around the edges. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature, plain or a la mode.
This one has a lot less sugar. Most of the other recipes here have waaay too much sugar. Most apples need little to no sugar. I once made an apple pie and realized as I was serving it that I had forgotten the sugar altogether. No one said a thing and the pie was gone in a flash.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:18 AM

This is a recipe I recently shared that is for a 9”x13”. You can use any fruit, just adjust the seasonings to suit each type of fruit (I skip the cinnamon for peach, for example)l Enjoy!

Fall has finally occurred here. Time for Apple Crisp
Old 10-12-2018, 10:23 AM

I make this dessert because a dear friend can't eat gluten. There might be several people who would appreciate be able to have dessert. https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/...apple-crumble/
Old 10-12-2018, 10:48 AM

The quilter, Elsie M. Campbell had an excellent apple crisp recipe on her website in 2009. I believe she was recuperating from cancer at the time she put that recipe up. I have used the recipe many times. I think it was posted under Aunt Mimi's Apple Crisp. I use an oblong baking pan and try not to make it too thick so there will be crunch to the topping.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Here is the recipe........scroll down. ;-)

http://www.elsiemcampbell.com/2009/10/
Old 10-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Thank You all for the great recipes. Lots of good ideas.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:17 AM

I know that you don't want to roll out pie crusts, but no one will know if you mess this one up...DELICIOUS!!

APPLE LOAF PIE

2 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg(separated)
milk
2/3 cups crushed cornflakes
5 cups sliced, peeled apples

COMBINE 1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine flour, 1 Tbsp sugar, and salt. Blend in shortening. Put egg yolk into cup , beat slightly and add milk to make 2/3 cup. Add to shortening mixture and mix just to form a ball.

Roll out 1/2 of dough into 15" x 11" rectangle. Put onto baking sheet (cookie sheet with sides). Cover with cornflakes and then cover with apples. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup and cinnamon mixture over apples.
Roll out remaining dough and put on top. Pinch edges together. Beat egg white until stiff and spread over top of crust (adds shine).

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. While warm drizzle glaze on top:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice

I know that
Originally Posted by aborning View Post
I am looking for an apple pie desert (or apple crisp), that is for a 9x13 pan. Something similar to apple pie, but a recipe big enough for a cake pan and with a crust that is not actual pie crust that has to be rolled out. (Ugh, I am no good at making pie crusts!) Any ideas on a recipe? I need to make an apple pie desert for lunch at Quilt Club next week as that is what the others on the lunch committee want us all to bring. Help....
Old 10-16-2018, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin View Post
I know that you don't want to roll out pie crusts, but no one will know if you mess this one up...DELICIOUS!!
APPLE LOAF PIE
2 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg(separated)
milk
2/3 cups crushed cornflakes
5 cups sliced, peeled apples

COMBINE 1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Combine flour, 1 Tbsp sugar, and salt. Blend in shortening. Put egg yolk into cup , beat slightly and add milk to make 2/3 cup. Add to shortening mixture and mix just to form a ball.
Roll out 1/2 of dough into 15" x 11" rectangle. Put onto baking sheet (cookie sheet with sides). Cover with cornflakes and then cover with apples. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup and cinnamon mixture over apples.
Roll out remaining dough and put on top. Pinch edges together. Beat egg white until stiff and spread over top of crust (adds shine). Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. While warm drizzle glaze on top:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Way too much sugar in this. 1/2 cup would be plenty in the apples and I would skip the drizzle or use just a few tablespoons for looks.