Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fall has finally occurred here. Time for Apple Crisp

Blog Entries

Fall has finally occurred here. Time for Apple Crisp

This is a recipe my grandmother, (a Texas lady) made every year for the first day of school. Grandma is gone now, and no kids in school, so I make it once a year for the return of fall.

Apple Crisp-

As many of your apples peeled and cut, as it takes to fill a 9”x12” pan 2/3rds full. Sprinkle a goodly amount (1/2 t.?) of cinnamon and nutmeg on the apples and mix. Put 3 T. Cornstarch over the apples and stir in.

In a separate mixing bowl combine-
    1 1/2c. Brown sugar
    1c flour
    2/3 cups butter (margarine does not taste very good in this too much water content)
    1 1/2 t. Cinnamon
    1 1/2 t. Nutmeg
    I cup of “Zoom” hot cereal (like oatmeal, but rolled wheat)
    Blend together until it looks like coarse cornmeal. Hand sprinkle the topping over the apples
    Bake at 375 for 40 minutes

Top with butter pecan or vanilla ice cream.

Mmmmmmmm! Nothing better in the fall.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Sounds yummy! Love apple crisp in the fall.

I love apple crisp and this sounds like a good recipe, except - - - - that's waaay tooo much sugar. One half cup would be great plenty. Apples have natural sugar and don't need much more.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

What a nice tradition you are keeping up with! And it sounds yummy. Fall is my favorite season!!!

Blog Entries
    I have never thought to add less sugar, maybe I will improve grandma’s recipe...
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Nice tradition ! I knew a lady who made ham and bean soup and rhubarb crisp every Memorial Day because she’d go to the cemetery and invariably see some one from out of town so they got invited to her house.

Whether or not you can decrease the sugar depends on what apple you are using. I'm just saying ...
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Good point, and so true. I like the tart apples best.

This was something I grew up with and it was made often. It is the only recipe that I know by heart. Our version is very simple - one half; one; two. That translates to 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 cups of rolled oats. That and the apples are all we put in it. When I was young I think we packed that brown sugar now I put it in loosely. I think I will make one too, it is rather cold here today.

I've been craving apple crisp. I think I'll make some tonight. I love Baked Apple Oatmeal for breakfast...or dessert....or snack.

Sounds delicious. I love baked apple anything. My mother baked whole apples when the weather turned cool. Still in the 90's here so I have some weeks to go before chilly weather.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

An aha moment what you guys call apple crisp is a crumble in the UK �� I love how food has different names in different countries x

Notmorecraft shall I tell you I had skirlings for breakfast. I don't know if I spelt it right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    This was something I grew up with and it was made often. It is the only recipe that I know by heart. Our version is very simple - one half; one; two. That translates to 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 cups of rolled oats. That and the apples are all we put in it. When I was young I think we packed that brown sugar now I put it in loosely. I think I will make one too, it is rather cold here today.
    No cinnamon or nutmeg? I can get behind no nutmeg, but no cinnamon? Say it isn’t so! Lol.

I love cinnamon on so many things but not too crazy about nutmeg!

No cinnamon on the crisp but how about nutmeg on egg custard - Ohhhh I might have to make that now also. The crisp is on the counter 1/2 eaten. My husband is the one that introduced me to ice cream on apple crisp Wow!

Looks like a great recipe.

Blog Entries
    This weekend I made pineapple crisp. Skipped the cinnamon and just used nutmeg, and added a quarter cup cornstarch in with the crushed pineapple. I have also made it with peaches or berries. Yummy!