View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 11:01 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

RosaSharon ... Some have added sleeves (kind of!) to quilts, to help keep quilts in place.
Another that I have seen is a quilt made into more of a shawl, going over the shoulders then
draping in the front, held in place with strings, buttons, velcro, or even a zipper, etc.
Sorry that I can't give you any links. Maybe, some of the others here will be able to?

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I am not quite "seeing" how (or when) your Mom would tie a lap quilt around her waist.
I could - maybe - see making a loop or "strap" that would/could go around her neck - sort of like some aprons or bibs.
Good idea BearIG!! .... I had been thinking if it was tied around a waist, it may be somewhat bulky and awkward, as usually a quilt would be much wider and longer than the person! Plus, for me, I like to have my arms in under, and be able to cozy it it up around my neck.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If she is in a nursing home they don’t allow ties.
Definitely something to be aware of.
However, that is not the case for all nursing homes and/or care facilities!

In fact many request ties, to help keep quilts in place whether in bed, a lounge chair or a wheel chair.

I'm saying "ties" loosely here, as many ask for short strips of fabric with velcro,
so they are easily done up (by staff or the resident) or loosened off, and minimizes the personal dangers that ties can create.

It should be remembered, that whenever making something for any sort of care facility or public place (nursing, retirement, hospice, Ronald McD homes, hospitals etc.) it is always best to check on their requirements/specifications re fabric, batting, sizes, ties, laundering, etc.

The "rules" can vary widely from one facility to the other. So do not assume!

Otherwise, you may find your gift of love to be rejected, not by the person you intended it for,
but by those supervising the care.

Last edited by QuiltE; 10-28-2018 at 11:07 AM.