Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I attach ties to a lap quilt? >

How do I attach ties to a lap quilt?

How do I attach ties to a lap quilt?

Old 10-27-2018, 11:49 PM

Default How do I attach ties to a lap quilt?

I want to make my mother a lap quilt. I know what I want to do, all but how to attack ties so she can tie it around her waste while she sits. (So it won't slip.) I just can't figure out how to do it. Any suggestion will be helpful.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

if you put flannel on the back, that keeps it from slipping. i've never seen one with waist ties
Old 10-28-2018, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

If she is in a nursing home they don’t allow ties.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:22 AM

I read your post this morning. I didn’t think I could help you but I looked back again this afternoon just to see what the clever people on this forum suggested and was surprised to see that so far there are not many ideas.

I had looked at making lap quilts a while ago but never did. My daughter thought they should have a pocket for a hanky or phone etc.

There are some interesting ideas online. One is to have ‘pocket’ that the user can slide their hands in from each side. This not only keeps their hands warm but also stops the quilt from sliding off.

Here is a link that you might find helpful -

http://quiltingcubby.com/lap-quilt-w...n-hide-snacks/
Old 10-28-2018, 06:39 AM

When my Mom was in care, I made her a lap quilt with ties, and it worked great to attach to the metal side supports. All I did was use pieces similar to a shoelace, and fold them in half and stitch to the top corners, right through the quilt. Her care home had no problem with this, but "if" your Mom is in a care facility you might like to check into that first.

To make it so your Mom can tie it around her waist, you could bind the 3 edges as normal, but then make like an apron band with attached ties for the top edge. The only problem I can think about that is, the bow might dig into her back while sitting?
Old 10-28-2018, 08:06 AM

I would probably bind the 3 sides like thimblebug says possibly with a wider than normal binding and then bind the top with a long piece the extended past the quilt one each side long enough to tie. But I really like the idea of using flannel on the back so it won't slide off. Flannel is so warm and comfy too.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

I am not quite "seeing" how (or when) your Mom would tie a lap quilt around her waist.

I could - maybe - see making a loop or "strap" that would/could go around her neck - sort of like some aprons or bibs.
Attached Thumbnails tie.jpg  
Old 10-28-2018, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

RosaSharon ... Some have added sleeves (kind of!) to quilts, to help keep quilts in place.
Another that I have seen is a quilt made into more of a shawl, going over the shoulders then
draping in the front, held in place with strings, buttons, velcro, or even a zipper, etc.
Sorry that I can't give you any links. Maybe, some of the others here will be able to?

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I am not quite "seeing" how (or when) your Mom would tie a lap quilt around her waist.
I could - maybe - see making a loop or "strap" that would/could go around her neck - sort of like some aprons or bibs.
Good idea BearIG!! .... I had been thinking if it was tied around a waist, it may be somewhat bulky and awkward, as usually a quilt would be much wider and longer than the person! Plus, for me, I like to have my arms in under, and be able to cozy it it up around my neck.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If she is in a nursing home they don’t allow ties.
Definitely something to be aware of.
However, that is not the case for all nursing homes and/or care facilities!

In fact many request ties, to help keep quilts in place whether in bed, a lounge chair or a wheel chair.

I'm saying "ties" loosely here, as many ask for short strips of fabric with velcro,
so they are easily done up (by staff or the resident) or loosened off, and minimizes the personal dangers that ties can create.

It should be remembered, that whenever making something for any sort of care facility or public place (nursing, retirement, hospice, Ronald McD homes, hospitals etc.) it is always best to check on their requirements/specifications re fabric, batting, sizes, ties, laundering, etc.

The "rules" can vary widely from one facility to the other. So do not assume!

Otherwise, you may find your gift of love to be rejected, not by the person you intended it for,
but by those supervising the care.

Last edited by QuiltE; 10-28-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:08 PM

I put in grommets about a third of the way down each side and use a velcro strip through the grommet to attach to the chair, rails etc.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:14 AM

I make fidget lap quilts that go to variety of nursing care facilities. They want the ties as they can use them to keep the lap quilt on their lap. They tie them to the chair they are sitting in-often wheelchairs. When I put the good sides together to sew it together, I insert the ties between the two layers before I sew it and turn it inside out. I don’t do the traditional quilt method. I double stitch where the ties are as well. Then turn it right side out. I’ve already added the embellishments for them to fidget with so I top stitch around the entire quilt to keep it in place. Sometimes I also do it like a tie quilt. Hope that helps. Not quite what you were asking for but maybe it will give you some ideas on how to attach them.