Thread: Bleached Muslin
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 04:18 AM
illinois

This has become quite a conversation about JoAnne's! It goes back to buy what you can afford. Just because it comes from JoAnne's, Hobby Lobby, WalMart or an LQS, does not speak to the quality of the piece you are buying. If you are an heirloom/quilt show quilter, LQS fabric may be what you want. If you are a craft quilter, perhaps you'd rather not pay the price. Personally I rarely buy at the LQS because, while I recognize they "usually" have fabrics that are more tightly woven, I don't want to pay the price. At the other stores, I can feel the piece I'm considering and decide if it is the quality for the project. Too, I'm a quilter who buys "some" not knowing what I will use it for and it will go into my stash and I can afford to buy "some" rather than going by a specific pattern. And, when I miscut, there is less guilt that I've just wasted that cut of fabric. I have purchased some LQS fabric that I felt was inferior and it frayed terribly so I wondered what was the big deal. I regularly shop the 3 mentioned and rarely am disappointed. Even the baby quilts that have endured a lot of love and laundry have held up well. As to muslin, I think one of its "downfalls" is the possibility of shrinking or that it may be thin so it is good to pay attention to what you are buying that it is the quality you want for the use you have for it.