View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 05:44 AM
ktbb

The type of quilting is of course your choice. Before you give up free motion quilting, however, try it with the machine on the slowest speed and matching the movement of the quilt to the speed of the needle. I learned from an amazing quilter, Maria Shell, who is an international teacher, that working at slower speed gives more control, reduces stress, and can be amazingly creative. Like you, I had problems with tension, thread breaking, uneven curves, etc. When slowing down the machine and matching the movement of the quilt to the speed of the machine I was able to enjoy FMQ and by having total control of the quilt I ended up with better tension and better stitches and patterns. In my case I turned my machine down to the slowest speed to begin and after a little practice learned that I work better at the second slowest speed. I can get even stitches by moving quilt to match the machine speed and, as Maria describes it, it's almost like a zen moment when you hit the right machine/fabric speed. Give it a try before you give it up completely.