Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight line or free motion? >

Straight line or free motion?

Straight line or free motion?

Old 11-08-2018, 05:44 AM

The type of quilting is of course your choice. Before you give up free motion quilting, however, try it with the machine on the slowest speed and matching the movement of the quilt to the speed of the needle. I learned from an amazing quilter, Maria Shell, who is an international teacher, that working at slower speed gives more control, reduces stress, and can be amazingly creative. Like you, I had problems with tension, thread breaking, uneven curves, etc. When slowing down the machine and matching the movement of the quilt to the speed of the machine I was able to enjoy FMQ and by having total control of the quilt I ended up with better tension and better stitches and patterns. In my case I turned my machine down to the slowest speed to begin and after a little practice learned that I work better at the second slowest speed. I can get even stitches by moving quilt to match the machine speed and, as Maria describes it, it's almost like a zen moment when you hit the right machine/fabric speed. Give it a try before you give it up completely.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:23 AM

I gave up on FMQ. I just never enjoyed it. I do straight line quilting, mostly cross hatch on my projects. I like the look of it and it gets the job done.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:39 AM

I am not skilled at FMQ and as stated in my previous post, I find it stressful rather than fun. I did give it a good try. I made a modern quilt out of jelly rolls, and quilted each strip with a different 'easy' FMQ pattern. I don't buy pre-cuts, and didn't know what to do with the gifted batik jelly roll, so the quilt was a bit of an experiment from the beginning. It was a large lap quilt size, so a decent amount of quilting space.
I totally get it that to be better at FMQ you have to practice, but making a quilt is a lot of work, expensive, and a labor of love. I can't stand to 'practice' on a quilt. I have made smaller sandwiches to practice on, but I don't think it gives you the real experience of a whole quilt. So how do you really get more practice if you aren't willing to 'sacrifice' a quilt? I don't think I have the patience to make a quilt out of muslin just to practice on. Maybe if I enjoyed FMQ, and was truly committed to getting better I would try something like that.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 AM

I don't FM...tried and not fun for me. If I do attempt it's just small wall hangings. I straight line, SID and use my emb machine for more elaborate quilting...
Old 11-09-2018, 09:16 AM

I do both and my FMQ is always in progress especially if learning a new motif. It is important to remember that those of us who quilt for fun will not have the same look as those that do it professionally. Typically they have big machines and spend many more hours and some rely on the computer to make the designs.

Enjoy your work and walking foot designs can set off a quilt well.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:59 AM

Straight line if I am in a hurry or the design calls for it. Free motion if I want to experiment or, again, if the design calls for it.

Quilting should be a joy. Do what YOU want to do and yah-boo-sucks to those that criticize!

HettyB
Old 11-09-2018, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Do what makes you happy. This is a hobby, so it should not be stressful. I tried free motion once. I'm no good at it so I stick with what I can do well.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Banned

I have found straight-line quilting to be much more satisfying over time, in part because I find it easier and in part because I'm so much better at it than FMQ! I love Jacquie Gering's book Walk, which is about quilting with your walking foot (her Craftsy classes are also excellent). There's a ton of variation in what you can do--straight-line quilting can be as visually interesting as FMQ, in my opinion. I agree with everyone who says do what's the most fun for you!
Old 11-09-2018, 04:25 PM

Due to downsizing my household 5 years ago, I no longer have a machine that has throat space for FMQ. I have discovered my trusty, sew everything machine does QAYG very nicely! I have done mostly straight lines (had to buy a new guide arm, original is in a box, I'm sure!) and Circles using my walking foot. Turned out great, no issues with tension, and I really enjoyed it! I only had to guide the fabric sandwich a little, the machine did most of the work. I've done several of these and they seem to be holding up to the babies that received them! Whatever you do, if it makes you happy and feel good, then you are doing it right!!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-07-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps