Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight line or free motion? >

Straight line or free motion?

Straight line or free motion?

Old 11-07-2018, 03:32 AM

do whatever you enjoy! it's supposed to be fun! i'm still learning FMQ and I have some Craftsy classes with it, I also have two classes with Jacquie Gering that are all walking foot quilting and I've watched those twice.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:11 AM

"....I think it is the fact that a lot of quilters have their quilts finished by a long arm it has changed how we think finished quilts should look. I know I struggle with this mightily. Remember quilting is a fun creative outlet. Do what you are comfortable with. Most who see your quilts who are not quilters are going to be amazed at your skill and creativity." Exactly, Ekuw. The computer driven quilting is amazing and so perfect that anything that doesn't look like that is deemed not as good. My husband calls them soulless quilts. I appreciate the skills that are needed for this type of quilting. And as I get older, I may need to utilize pay-by-check quilting. For now, I like all the wobbles and imperfections as long as I know I have done my best. When I've given a quilt to someone, even in my early days of quilting, they were just happy to be given a quilt.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:19 AM

Quilting is supposed to be fun. If you find that FMQ is stressful to you, and you enjoy doing straight line quilting, go for it. I do it both ways, and although I don't think I'll be talented enough in FM to do feathers, wreaths, etc., my meandering is fairly good, at least it's a lot better than it was when I first tried doing it. LOL
Old 11-07-2018, 04:36 AM

I really admire the free motion work that I see at quilt shows, but am not compelled to do it. I think it is fun on a small project like a placemat, but not so much on an entire quilt. I am happy to say that on most of my quilts, I prefer straight or wavy lines so that is what I do. Occasional meander or loops, but that is about it for me.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:45 AM

I only Quilt with my walking foot. Never got the hang of FMQ. I do straight line quilting, gentle wavy lines, and some straight line design patterns like chevrons, etc. google quilting with a walking foot and you can see lots of ideas for variations from classic straight lines.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:24 AM

I like all the comments. Just remember that quilting is for the fun of it; no competition, no hurry, no worries. I don't like, as I have said before, items that have been "quilted to death", so I appreciate someone's honest quilted efforts.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:27 AM

Good answer!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I only do straight line or stitch in the ditch quilting - which I think I do respectably well. I do have a Pfaff with the integrated walking foot which helps immensely - and I also closely pin the layers together .

I do admire some of the FMQ and what some of the long-armers do.

I have decided to not fret about my lack of skill at FMQ. (Notice - I did not say that I cannot - because I don't know that - but I do know that I am not skilled at it - yet)
Old 11-07-2018, 07:24 AM

FMQ is done in so many different ways; it is a matter of seeing what works best for you. As an example, I've learned to recognize which threads work well for me, learned to check the lower tension first (Jamie Wallen's method) before checking the upper tension and go with whatever quilting designs I like. For example, it is so fun meandering and then going back over it to achieve a ribbon look. There are some designs which don't work for me, and I recognize that.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:05 AM

I prefer FMQ, I find straight line quilting with a walking foot, time consuming and stressful as I obsess with every line being perfectly straight and quality spaced. With FMQ I just relax and go with flow, slowly getting into ruler quilting on my DSM.