View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Debra Mc

My very first machine was a Kenmore. Have had it about 38 years. Very good machine but didn't have a free arm and built in buttonholer. I hate to make button holes. My next one is also a Kenmore, nothing fancy but does have built in features that I wanted. Have had it at least 26 years. Made my first quilt on it. Machine quilted it and nearly killed myself because the throat was so small. Quilt was a queen size. So I started looking for a deep throated quilting machine. Boy was I fired up. Got all the brochures from the long arm machine companies. The one I wanted the Gammill(nothing fancy) cost more than my first 3 bedroom brick house built new from the ground up. I was so broken hearted. My husband told me he would buy me a new machine with a deeper throat so I started looking. The Bernia were so very expense. I found a Baby-Lock Quilter's Professional machine. It was just what I wanted. The only thing is, it doesn't do zigzag. The price is over $1000.00. I think it listed for about $1250.00 and that was about 2 years ago. I got mine on sale for $999.00. It has been worth every penny I paid for it. There may be some cheaper machines on the market but I couldn't find one. Sears-Kenmore doesn't make one with a deep throat. I couldn't afford Bernia. You might be able to find one that was a trade in. The Baby-Lock is a very good machine. I would highly recommend it. Just save your money.