View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
You go, girl! This is why I often have trouble in workshops and classes. It's just plain hard to do things a different way when what you've been doing for a long time is so much better for you! And not so foolish!
I admit, I once took a class at the International Quilt Festival with a friend who was just dying to take this one class. Unfortunately, I knew of the teacher and how she taught, so I insisted we sit in the back of the class. I walked my friend through the whole thing as if we were at home doing it, LOL! My way! Because after all, it really, honestly, was so much easier. (And she admitted about an hour into it that she really did waste her money on that teacher, LOL!) (I'm so bad. But I swear the teacher was oblivious to us; there were some 30 students in that class!)

I have mellowed with advanced age, I promise.
This cracks me up! I'm virtually unteachable when I have made up my mind about how I want to do something. I sign up for Craftsy classes and look at lots of Youtube tutorials, and I do learn a lot along the way, but not necessarily what the teacher is trying to get across. And yeah, the older I get the less I care about conforming to someone else's way to doing things.

There's an old story about someone cutting a roast in half before putting it in her nice, big oven. Her husband asks her why and she says, "I don't know, but it's the way Mom does it." So he asks her mom, and she says, "I don't know, it's the way my mom always did it." Eventually they find the grandma's old cook book, and there in the margin next to roast beef is a note that says, "If it's too big for the oven, cut it in half." I won't be cutting any roasts (or quilt pieces) without knowing why!