View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 05:20 AM
DawnFurlong

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
I think there might be. BUT I don't have any computerized machines. I don't even use all the features of the machines I do have. I can FMQ on all my machines, with or without the feed dog drop. SewVeryEasy youtube channel has a great video on using flexible snow sleds for quilting. I just punched a hole with needle when I had mine cut to the right length and used a screw to enlarge the hole. Shaved off the back side and sewed away.
You've got me curious about flexible snow sleds for quilting, I'm going to have to look that up.

I'll admit there are certain things on my computerized machines that I really enjoy (needle down, thread cutters, needle threader, a pivot feature on a presser foot). In fact when one feature is on one machine and not the other, it takes me a few minutes to quit looking for it on the one that doesn't have it.

But I don't think I would want it so computerized that it doesn't really need me. And there have been times when I have been sewing on a vintage machine that it is nice to enjoy the difference in sound and feel, and to slow it down, being more cognizant of setting that needle down, using scissors to snip threads, etc. Not so much to go wrong on those vintage machines either.

My minimalist side sometimes fights with my other side that goes oooh and ahhh over some of these computerized features. It is very easy to be awed and think I need this or that when if I slow it down and really consider what I would likely use or not use - helps me to balance my decision (usually!).