Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machines too computerized? >

Machines too computerized?

Machines too computerized?

Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 PM

What I don't like is the cassettes, CD's and my husband buys a new car -no cassette, no CD, no GPS. Sirius Radio only and another monthly bill. Bought 2 GPS's and they work when they want to. On the computer, I was saving to a disc and now my daughter said it all goes to a stick now. How do I get all those patterns onto a stick? I guess I hate change no matter what it is. Now I hear they may have Daylight saving time in the works that we will have it all the time like the Amish do. Progress??
Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 PM

As with most machines, the more features (bells and whistles) it has, the more there is to go wrong, and often maintain. I keep my machines as simple as possible so I can fix and maintain them myself. It's too pricey to get some one else to fix them, if you can find them.......
Old 11-15-2018, 03:49 AM

I sew with one group and most of the group sew on Featherweights, only a few use newer machines. I have a Featherweight, but prefer my 301 and New Home L-372.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:26 AM

My machine tells me when I'm almost out of thread. But if I ignore it I can often get another 6-8 inches sewn even though my machine reminds me again every 10 or so stitches.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
I have an Eversewn Hero, and the only two things I can think of that I am not crazy about have to do with the thread sensors.

It's annoying when empty bobbin sensor wont let me sew the last inch I need even though I KNOW there's at least a foot of thread left in the bobbin. And, I learned to ease fabric (like for setting a sleeve) by running it thru the machine with no thread. My Eversewn won't let me stitch without thread, so that's a more complicated and time consuming process.

Other than that, it is an awesome machine.
My machine tells me when I'm almost out of thread. But if I ignore it I can often get another 6-8 inches sewn even though my machine reminds me again every 10 or so stitches.

Last edited by janjanq; 11-15-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 AM

I have a Baby Lock Rachel, and a Viking SE that don't remind me when I am low on bobbin. I have to admit that I am spoiled with the reminder on my Viking Diamond , and miss it on the other machines. I also miss thread cutters and needle threaders on my older machines.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:59 PM

I think there might be. BUT I don't have any computerized machines. I don't even use all the features of the machines I do have. I can FMQ on all my machines, with or without the feed dog drop. SewVeryEasy youtube channel has a great video on using flexible snow sleds for quilting. I just punched a hole with needle when I had mine cut to the right length and used a screw to enlarge the hole. Shaved off the back side and sewed away.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
I think there might be. BUT I don't have any computerized machines. I don't even use all the features of the machines I do have. I can FMQ on all my machines, with or without the feed dog drop. SewVeryEasy youtube channel has a great video on using flexible snow sleds for quilting. I just punched a hole with needle when I had mine cut to the right length and used a screw to enlarge the hole. Shaved off the back side and sewed away.
You've got me curious about flexible snow sleds for quilting, I'm going to have to look that up.

I'll admit there are certain things on my computerized machines that I really enjoy (needle down, thread cutters, needle threader, a pivot feature on a presser foot). In fact when one feature is on one machine and not the other, it takes me a few minutes to quit looking for it on the one that doesn't have it.

But I don't think I would want it so computerized that it doesn't really need me. And there have been times when I have been sewing on a vintage machine that it is nice to enjoy the difference in sound and feel, and to slow it down, being more cognizant of setting that needle down, using scissors to snip threads, etc. Not so much to go wrong on those vintage machines either.

My minimalist side sometimes fights with my other side that goes oooh and ahhh over some of these computerized features. It is very easy to be awed and think I need this or that when if I slow it down and really consider what I would likely use or not use - helps me to balance my decision (usually!).
Old 11-16-2018, 05:39 AM

My opinion is buy the machine that does what you want. If you paper piece a lot then a thread cutter is nice etc. I am definitely in favor of technology. I used to tease my grandchildren when I did them a favor saying "when I'm old you will have to drive me to quilt stores to pay me back" but now with safety protections in autos, uber and future driverless cars, I will be able to keep doing what I love.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:54 AM

It's all about options and bonding with your machine(s). I started back into sewing a few years ago and I love my machines with all the features. While some are not used every time, I like having them available if needed.

Our local dealer offers great classes and events. There is always something fun to learn.