Old 11-27-2018, 11:54 AM
geevee

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I am so with you on this one. Hate my front loader. Someone, I thought it was here, was talking about a brand that has started making a top-loading washer with the option of filling the tub, perfect for quilters. Don't remember if a lock was mentioned.

Same thing goes for dishwashers. We recently purchased a new fridge, and while we were standing around doing paperwork, we got into a conversation with the guy who repairs the appliances. Our dishwasher is at least 20 years old, and he said "wait as long as you can to replace it". The longest cycle on my dishwasher is 96 minutes. He said the new dishwashers have cycles that range from 2.5 hours to 4.5 hours. Seriously?!?!?! I asked him how that could possibly be more energy efficient. He replied that they're not drawing power constantly; they pulse on and off instead.

I'd much rather have something like an industrial dishwasher that does a whole cycle in 4 or 6 minutes than these stupid domestic models that take 2-4 hours! I could have my entire kitchen clean, with everything put away, in less than 30 minutes.
When we had to have the lower cabs replaced after Harvey, I opted not to replace the dishwasher we never used, instead had another cab put in it's place and filled it with dividers for all my baking pans, and utensils in the drawer above, so much more functional than a machine that takes forever and uses electricity as well as water. With just hub and me, dishes take no time at all. 2 - 4 hours in the new ones? Oh my goodness!

Ruitzelj - do yourself a big favor and find a non-digital, large capacity top loader, we had to replace the washer left by the former owners 3+ years ago and went with just the basic Whirlpool agitator top loader, hope I don't jinx it but it's been a fine machine. It's not a large capacity so haven't washed any large quilts in it but I also understand Speed Queen is a very well-built machine, look into those first. Their dryers don't get as good reviews for some reason but the washers are top notch.