View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Mariah

Michael, Log Cabin is a very easy, fulfilling quilt to make. I was scared to death of it also, when I first started.
I finally learned that you can do the following and not have to have paper piece, templates, anything.
Just do this: 1. Start with a sqare of Red fabric, cut a scant 2and 1/2 " square.
2. Sew a light fabric to 1 side of that 2and 1/2" Square.
3. Turn the square with the 1 light pieced sewn. Now, take a another light piece and sew to the next side of the square you started with. BY THE WAY, ALL PIECES ARE 1' FINISHED; 1AND 1/2 TO START--TO ALLOW FOR THE SEAMS ; 1/4 IN. TO THE SQUARE, AND 1/4 TO THE NEXT PIECE OF FABRIC.
4. Now you are back to the first side--light piece. Sew another piece to the first side, which will be longer, as you are also sewing to the 2nd piece.
5. the same thing on the 2nd light piece.
6. Keep turning the work. Now you are at the dark side. Sew a dark piece to the 1st dark piece.
7Turn your work, another dark piece.
8. Keep going. Each piece will be getting longer.

***I am making my present Log Cabin with 15" squares, so I cut the pieces 15and1/2 in. long.
Just keep going until you reach the size block you want.
That is all there is to it!!
***Before I caught on, and a friend showed me this, I bought paper piecing print blocks from The Little Foot.com site.
I am just now getting registered enough to sell anything with the site. I have 2 pkgs. of them--10each pkg. When I clear to sell items online, if I still have them, I paid $10.00 each pkg. I will sell them both for $16.00 post pd.
If you don't understand this and think you want to try it, you can email me and I will try to clear it up for you.
[email protected]