Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin - Vellum Templates >

Log Cabin - Vellum Templates

Log Cabin - Vellum Templates

Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM

Hello there,

I decided I would try my first log cabin. I was thinking of paper piecing it. But I was hoping to find a source for pre-printed log cabin vellum. Or at least an easy log cabin pattern I could print on my own vellum.

I was watching this video online:
http://www.ehow.com/video_4433324_us...bin-quilt.html
I was hoping to find something similar to what she's using. I did call Piper's Quilts, but they are currently out of the pre-printed vellum.

Any assistance or suggestions are appreciated!

~Michael
Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Hi Michael. For doing a Log Cabin have you looked at just a pattern of it? You may be able to just look at a pattern and follow those instructions instead of going through all the trouble of looking for Vellum Templates.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM

I have....but I'm a little intimidated! :)

I don't think most people realize how much fabric is unless you sew, and I'm nervous that I will purchase all of this fabric and them mess it all up! :)

I was even looking into buying a precut kit from ebay.

I'm so new to this I'm afriad I'll pick the wrong colors and end up with a hideous quilt. :lol:

But I guess I should just relax and have fun with it right?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 AM

Yes, relax and have fun!! Take some scraps and try a block before cutting into "good" fabric. Try goggling "log cabin quilt images" and look at all the color combinations.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM

I just finished a scrappy log cabin a couple of weeks ago. I bought the Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin book. It gives you yardage for different size quilts, shows you different layouts after the blocks are made, and step by step instructions (really good instructions). It is now my bible for log cabin quilts, in fact, I'm getting ready to start another one.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by patty48
I just finished a scrappy log cabin a couple of weeks ago. I bought the Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin book. It gives you yardage for different size quilts, shows you different layouts after the blocks are made, and step by step instructions (really good instructions). It is now my bible for log cabin quilts, in fact, I'm getting ready to start another one.
Yes Micheal I will agree with patty. Eleanor Burns is the best.
She has easy to read instructions. Most of the Log Cabins I've done have all been scrappy. No color guessing at all.
So relax and just believe in yourself.
:thumbup:
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I learned to make log cabin quilts from Judy Martin's book - http://www.amazon.com/Judy-Martins-C...6608700&sr=8-1

Her method isn't paper piecing, but it's very easy and well explained. I love paper piecing, but wouldn't use it for a log cabin because I don't think it's necessary for that pattern. PP also involves more fabric waste.

This is a log cabin that I made entirely from scraps.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23612-1.htm
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM

My favorite log cabins are the two color ones where you use the dark on one half and the light on the other. That way you don't have to try so hard to match all of the fabrics the first time around.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I learned to make log cabin quilts from Judy Martin's book - http://www.amazon.com/Judy-Martins-C...6608700&sr=8-1

Her method isn't paper piecing, but it's very easy and well explained. I love paper piecing, but wouldn't use it for a log cabin because I don't think it's necessary for that pattern. PP also involves more fabric waste.

This is a log cabin that I made entirely from scraps.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23612-1.htm

By the way, I love your scrappy log cabin
Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM

Welcome to the Board!
Not to be contrary...just expressing my opinions and trying to be of some help...
Avoid precut kits...cutting skills take some practice...but if you want to learn, you're going to have to make some mistakes...of course, that's not an issue if you just want to make one quilt.
Think about a rail fence for a simpler, smaller project.
Log cabins are not nearly as simple or easy as many seem to think...especially if you don't have that consistent seam allowance mastered. I do believe that E.Burns does it as well as it can be done...her books are great for all skill levels.
Make a couple of sample blocks from low cost fabric before you commit to the expense of enough yardage to do whatever you decide to do.
Relax...this is supposed to be pleasure!
Using a printed paper foundation would greatly increase the accuracy of the blocks...but not everyone enjoys the extra steps enough to use this technique.
Whatever you decide to do...you've got lots of folks here to encourage you! Have some fun...enjoy the process...best of luck to you on your new project!