Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin - Vellum Templates >

Log Cabin - Vellum Templates

Log Cabin - Vellum Templates

Old 02-20-2010, 08:00 PM

The Elenor Burns log cabin is a great idea to start. Later on you may want to make smaller logs. But if you do borrow the book from a library and get a really old version, please ignore her instructions to tear instead of cut the fabric.

Once you get the hang of her quick piecing, you will love it.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:38 PM

Welcome to the forum. How about picking several shades of your favorite color and go from there. You can't go wrong if you love the colors. Good luck with your project and post pictures of it as you progress or when finished.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Marti Mitchell has books and rulers that are very easy to follow. the one thing i would recommend, as my teacher of my first log cabin taught me, place each piece and number or letter in a baggie so that you know exactly where it is to be placed.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by patty48
I just finished a scrappy log cabin a couple of weeks ago. I bought the Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin book. It gives you yardage for different size quilts, shows you different layouts after the blocks are made, and step by step instructions (really good instructions). It is now my bible for log cabin quilts, in fact, I'm getting ready to start another one.
I'm familiar with this book too....would be an excellent starting point. And welcome to the quilting world, Michael.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by patty48
I just finished a scrappy log cabin a couple of weeks ago. I bought the Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin book. It gives you yardage for different size quilts, shows you different layouts after the blocks are made, and step by step instructions (really good instructions). It is now my bible for log cabin quilts, in fact, I'm getting ready to start another one.
Patty48 offered a great idea and I vote for "her." I, too, have made several log cabins from Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin book and if you follow her instructions, it is very easy and turns out just great. I even made pot holders using her method (just cutting down on the size of the pieces in the block). The chain piecing makes it go much faster and what is great is when you finish going through her steps, you have finished all of the blocks you need for your quilt. I have not adopted her "throwing fabric scraps over-the-shoulder" as yet--maybe one day. This procedure is not in her books, but when she is on a quilting show, that is what she does. :)
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Hi Michael,

USE SCRAPS!

No, seriously, if you have a log cabin pattern that is making you tense, use scraps. If you hate the first trial product, its an instant trivet/hotpad for your next picnic or patio get together! No loss, no shame.

Once you follow the directions using scraps and actually finish the first log cabin block, you will be amazed at how easy the next ones will be. Then you will have the confidence to cut that good fabric . . . or maybe you will keep using scraps?

I was also terrified of the first block, but soon realized I had met my new best friend in the log cabin.

Tracy.

PS: I really like Eleanor Burns books as well. Sounds like a gift idea to make know to your friends when they need to shop for you!