View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 04:14 AM
SSTeacher

Originally Posted by patty48
I just finished a scrappy log cabin a couple of weeks ago. I bought the Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin book. It gives you yardage for different size quilts, shows you different layouts after the blocks are made, and step by step instructions (really good instructions). It is now my bible for log cabin quilts, in fact, I'm getting ready to start another one.
Patty48 offered a great idea and I vote for "her." I, too, have made several log cabins from Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin book and if you follow her instructions, it is very easy and turns out just great. I even made pot holders using her method (just cutting down on the size of the pieces in the block). The chain piecing makes it go much faster and what is great is when you finish going through her steps, you have finished all of the blocks you need for your quilt. I have not adopted her "throwing fabric scraps over-the-shoulder" as yet--maybe one day. This procedure is not in her books, but when she is on a quilting show, that is what she does. :)