View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Mickey2

The old motors usually clean up very well, and old belts always need replacing along with the bobbin tyre. The old motors have grease wicks, there's a set of carbon brushes there too. If the machine looks nice, no particular wear to the paint you can be almost sure the motor will clean up nicely. I have tried the new replacement motors available, they are a bit noiser than the original Singer motors, some are a bit faster, not all. As a temporary solution, you can give a single drop of oil down the grease ports, only one drop or it will damage the motor. You should only use grease there, but if the old grease is hardened and clogged up nothing will reach the motor bearings until the motor is cleaned and serviced. If it has the original wiring, I guess it needs to be replace too, check the insulation and be careful. I have the original motor on my 99K and 201K, and they are fine. It's a bit sad to just get rid of them because they need a clean up, it's probably not worn at all, and if it's in crinkle finish too you should keep it if possible ;- ) It's a bit more work to rewire the original motor and lamp. The new replacement motors aren't luxury exactly, but I guess there are various qualities to be found if you start looking. They tend to work well, you can do what you think is best.

Last edited by Mickey2; 12-16-2018 at 04:25 PM.