Foot pedal vs. knee lever?

Old 12-16-2018, 02:24 PM

Default Foot pedal vs. knee lever?

I found a Singer 128 in its original bentwood case for under $100 and bought it. It's the crinkle flat black finish, circa 1941. Really in nice condition. Can't test the motor because, unfortunately, no knee control bar came with it. So now I'm curious - husband said he could easily rewire to use a foot control, rather than a knee bar, but is wondering whether that devalues the machine. Knee bars I've seen are $40 plus shipping Should I just simply invest in a knee bar? What say all you vintage machine enthusiasts?

It has the original shuttle but no bobbins, but those are easier to find.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:44 PM

I have knee lever on my 1934 99K and an Elna Supermatic, both are fine and it's easy to adjust to if you are used to pedal. My 201 and Bernina have pedal controllers. Knee lever doesn't add to the value as far as I know, but I can tell they are not a disadvatage either. I have seen both original pedals and knee lever as early as 1920s. Knee lever were very common before 1950, but around that time the button bakelite type gradually became more common. Knee lever was an option on many models well into the 1960s, at least Bernina and Elna. I think I would start looking for a knee lever for a 3/4 size machine, it will fit in the case. The are two types I think, much the same but the early 1920s lever have a round fitting at the end, and the later (early to mid 1930s and up) are flat. Complete with accessories and original good condition is always a pluss when it comes to value. New wiring is always a pluss to, but generally there isn't much money in vintage sewing machines, they tend to keep their value and increase a bit when they are clean and running and not missing any parts. There are always someone out there who will prefer it as true to new condition as possible.

Last edited by Mickey2; 12-16-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I have knee lever on my 1934 99K and an Elna Supermatic, both are fine and it's easy to adjust to if you are used to pedal. My 201 and Bernina have pedal controllers. Knee lever doesn't add to the value as far as I know, but I can tell they are not a disadvatage either. I have seen both original pedals and knee lever as early as 1920s. Knee lever were very common before 1950, but around that time the button bakelite type gradually became more common. Knee lever was an option on many models well into the 1960s, at least Bernina and Elna. I think I would start looking for a knee lever for a 3/4 size machine, it will fit in the case. The are two types I think, much the same but the early 1920s lever have a round fitting at the end, and the later (early to mid 1930s and up) are flat. Complete with accessories and original good condition is always a pluss when it comes to value. New wiring is always a pluss to, but generally there isn't much money in vintage sewing machines, they tend to keep their value and increase a bit when they are clean and running and not missing any parts. There are always someone out there who will prefer it as true to new condition as possible.
Thank you. We were able to get custom made stick in the controller and the motor sounds sick and the original belt is slipping. Might be best if I get a motor/pedal/belt and just get it running!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:12 PM

The old motors usually clean up very well, and old belts always need replacing along with the bobbin tyre. The old motors have grease wicks, there's a set of carbon brushes there too. If the machine looks nice, no particular wear to the paint you can be almost sure the motor will clean up nicely. I have tried the new replacement motors available, they are a bit noiser than the original Singer motors, some are a bit faster, not all. As a temporary solution, you can give a single drop of oil down the grease ports, only one drop or it will damage the motor. You should only use grease there, but if the old grease is hardened and clogged up nothing will reach the motor bearings until the motor is cleaned and serviced. If it has the original wiring, I guess it needs to be replace too, check the insulation and be careful. I have the original motor on my 99K and 201K, and they are fine. It's a bit sad to just get rid of them because they need a clean up, it's probably not worn at all, and if it's in crinkle finish too you should keep it if possible ;- ) It's a bit more work to rewire the original motor and lamp. The new replacement motors aren't luxury exactly, but I guess there are various qualities to be found if you start looking. They tend to work well, you can do what you think is best.

Last edited by Mickey2; 12-16-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:08 PM

The knee lever adds to the value - only because they are rather expensive. If you do look for one, keep in mind that are there two styles, so make sure you get the correct one for your machine. One has a flat end (like a standard screwdriver) and the other is a round barrel with a notch in it. The round barrel ones are older and harder to find.

BTW - you did look in the case - I knew someone that didn't realize they clip up into the lid.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
The old motors usually clean up very well, and old belts always need replacing along with the bobbin tyre. The old motors have grease wicks, there's a set of carbon brushes there too. If the machine looks nice, no particular wear to the paint you can be almost sure the motor will clean up nicely. I have tried the new replacement motors available, they are a bit noiser than the original Singer motors, some are a bit faster, not all. As a temporary solution, you can give a single drop of oil down the grease ports, only one drop or it will damage the motor. You should only use grease there, but if the old grease is hardened and clogged up nothing will reach the motor bearings until the motor is cleaned and serviced. If it has the original wiring, I guess it needs to be replace too, check the insulation and be careful. I have the original motor on my 99K and 201K, and they are fine. It's a bit sad to just get rid of them because they need a clean up, it's probably not worn at all, and if it's in crinkle finish too you should keep it if possible ;- ) It's a bit more work to rewire the original motor and lamp. The new replacement motors aren't luxury exactly, but I guess there are various qualities to be found if you start looking. They tend to work well, you can do what you think is best.
Good information. I ended up buying an original vintage working motor/pedal/light combination and my husband said he can work on the original motor that came with the machine in his spare time. Buying the already connected unit gives me a foot pedal alternative.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
The knee lever adds to the value - only because they are rather expensive. If you do look for one, keep in mind that are there two styles, so make sure you get the correct one for your machine. One has a flat end (like a standard screwdriver) and the other is a round barrel with a notch in it. The round barrel ones are older and harder to find.

BTW - you did look in the case - I knew someone that didn't realize they clip up into the lid.
I just checked. Darn it - nope. I'll check to see which one I need. Thank you!! Since this is a 1941, my guess it would need the flat end one?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:51 AM

I have found the steel knee control under the base in a case, also.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:29 PM

I'll check, Leon, but I broke down and bought one. NOW I'll find it! The best way to get something to turn up is to replace it, right?
Old 12-17-2018, 06:04 PM

The machine did come with its original bentwood case. That's something....