View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 06:44 PM
Iona D.

I usually don't deal with the smaller ma & pa stores for any major appliance purchases, not just sewing machines purchases anymore. They're usually a take everything so personally in my view. And really they don't know who is at the other end of the phone, You could have been a competitor attempting to determine how much to adjust their prices to more compete with you. Or someone who won't buy from them anyway and simply wasting their time.

If you don't have a "relationship" with these shops, I've found in the past that it's a real headache to deal with problems arising if you get a lemon or some hidden damage that not be noticeable at purchase, but pop up soon afterwards. It happens. So what to do? Simple. Check out the prices (and reviews) online no matter where you're located to get a "feel" of the price range. Between Amazon and SewVac Direct (and the only ones who would ship direct to an absent customer, anyone online would get a rough estimate of around $1000. The rest of the online stores are as close mouth as the stores you called.

I would visit both stores in person before you buy anywhere. Prepare yourself for a "hard" sales pitch. LIke you would for a new car. It would be a good idea to bring someone along to deflect and soften the sales pitch or any other such behavior that would part you and your hard earn money that might not be in your best interest.
Good Luck!