View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Anniedeb

This always sparks a lively discussion. People either love it or say "no way!" I fall into the love it category. I view it as a journey into the past. To me, it is important. I love finding out where my grandfather, great-grandfather, or grandmothers came from. Their travels and adventures are the reason I am where I am, and who I am. I have stood on my great-grandfathers grave, and been overwhelmed with emotion. I have been able to solve a couple of family mysteries regarding people who disappeared. I have great-great-great-grandfathers who enlisted during the civil war. My great-grandfather died in 1907. Married, widower, married and 24 children. Explored out west, and was an early settler in South Dakota. These snippets into the past are fascinating to me. Another relative published a book on my grandmothers family covering the families of my great-great grandfather and one of his brothers.

History is what it is. For me it answered tons of questions, and gave me lots of insight. I found nothing earth-shattering, but we do have our share of ruffians and hooligans to be sure!! Several cousins are also interested and we share info and pictures, and verify information. I'm not afraid of DNA. My grandson has had his DNA sequenced to try to find out the cause of his deafness and other disabilities. The information we have received has been instrumental in the doctors building an effective plan of treatment.

If it's not for you, that's OK too. Everyone has a different story to tell. I view it almost like a book. Some books are not well written and don't have a happy ending.

Enjoy your journey!!