Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anybody else tested DNA?

Has anybody else tested DNA?

We got a DNA test for our daughter's birthday and the results were very intriguing. So my hubby bought each of us a test kit for our anniversary. We're still waiting results, but I've started building a family tree and I'm astounded by what I've found. I've been able to go back five generations without paying anything yet. I'm still not finished, but may have found relatives I never knew existed living only a couple hours away. This is fascinating and it's like eating peanuts.....

No. Thanks.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Yes please! People are so scared of this. I love this hobby!

Not me. I'm not giving anyone my DNA to do with as they please, thankyouverymuch.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Power Poster
    I am mostly interested in those I know and love. Although it is interesting to see what ethnic background and regions your DNA originated from, the people in my family tree are just names.

DH and I did it last year, Christmas gift from DDs. Didn't do much for me, but DH was able to get in touch with a couple of lost cousins. They had a long telephone conversation over the holiday. Good for him as he feels like there is no family left, just him and a sister who has spent more years not talking to him than talking to him.

I have found several cousins thru my DNA and have learned so much more about my extended family. I love my genealogy hobby, and love corresponding with newly found relatives. I have gone back several generations on one side of the family, but I do think my g grandfather was dropped on this earth from out of nowhere! Can't find a single record on him, except a marriage licence. But I keep searching. I don't think you are ever finished. Always something new and interesting pops up. Good luck with your next generation!!

I did it last year and didn't find much new as far as where the family came from. I did a pretty complete search on my mother's family several years ago. Her family was from Sweden; a cousin still lives in the area they came from. He went to the church the family has attended since the last 1700s and sent me all the information he could find. I don't have near as much info on my dad, the the DNA info confirmed his family came from the areas we already knew. It was interesting.

Blog Entries
    My sister-in-law had hers tested a while back. It came back 37% Native American. She recently got an updated report indicating only 3% NA and is still left wondering about her ancestry.

Blog Entries
    It is very intriguing. I have several friends who have done it. One friend has a Native American grandmother but her test came back 0% Native American, but the NA database is very, very small, so we all expect this to change over time as more people participate in the testing. Another who was adopted at birth, he knows his birth mother but not his birth father. He did the test and found who his father is. My husband is one-quarter African American, his sister's test came back 16% African. I'm learning some fascinating stuff about DNA!

My daughter has spent money and hours and hours researching our families. We did a DNA test and several cousins on my Dads' side contacted me. She was not able to find out much on that side. I have no desire to keep in contact. No contact from my Mom's side. We didn't do the one with the medical results. I have outlived all my six family members and I know what they died of. I will live as long as I am suppose to.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I can see how it would help people who are adopted find out more about themselves. But, for me, I'm pretty happy with what I know. No need for my DNA to be on record somewhere.

This always sparks a lively discussion. People either love it or say "no way!" I fall into the love it category. I view it as a journey into the past. To me, it is important. I love finding out where my grandfather, great-grandfather, or grandmothers came from. Their travels and adventures are the reason I am where I am, and who I am. I have stood on my great-grandfathers grave, and been overwhelmed with emotion. I have been able to solve a couple of family mysteries regarding people who disappeared. I have great-great-great-grandfathers who enlisted during the civil war. My great-grandfather died in 1907. Married, widower, married and 24 children. Explored out west, and was an early settler in South Dakota. These snippets into the past are fascinating to me. Another relative published a book on my grandmothers family covering the families of my great-great grandfather and one of his brothers.

History is what it is. For me it answered tons of questions, and gave me lots of insight. I found nothing earth-shattering, but we do have our share of ruffians and hooligans to be sure!! Several cousins are also interested and we share info and pictures, and verify information. I'm not afraid of DNA. My grandson has had his DNA sequenced to try to find out the cause of his deafness and other disabilities. The information we have received has been instrumental in the doctors building an effective plan of treatment.

If it's not for you, that's OK too. Everyone has a different story to tell. I view it almost like a book. Some books are not well written and don't have a happy ending.

Enjoy your journey!!

Yes, we did it, we found out that we did come from Europe, I have more Neanderthal than the average person, it is fun but I will not spend very much time with it. I like quilting better.

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I can see how it would help people who are adopted find out more about themselves. But, for me, I'm pretty happy with what I know. No need for my DNA to be on record somewhere.
    I agree. I've done some pretty extensive genealogy research at our local genealogy library plus some correspondence. I knew quite a bit about my mom's family before this and know more now. Some day I'm going to delve into my dad's family. I find reading the old documents very interesting. I've even found some pictures of my ancestors which was very exciting.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I've done the genealogy stuff without doing any DNA testing. Have probably more finite results re where in Europe mine and DH's families are from. Lots of free info out there. For those interested in that, I highly recommend downloading Legacy software. There is a free version and I find it's extremely helpful in keeping info easily sorted.

Blog Entries
    I was shocked to learn that I have a common ancestor for King Richard III. Our maternal haplotype are almost identical.

Where is that tiara????

Mr Stitchnripper did it and it confirmed some suspicions about his father’s origins. My brother just did it and there were no surprises. My cousin is a genealogist so she has done my father’s side back many generations and is in contact with a lot of relatives. My father and her mother are siblings.
    Alyce

I have to say I'm on the "no" side. If I have any relatives I don't know about, I have NO desire to know them.
    Last edited by pocoellie; 12-30-2018 at 04:58 PM.

I already knew my family history well enough for me, there were no surprises. Going back the previous 4 generations was exactly as I believed it would be. I had a long struggle with myself over possibly becoming the next Henrietta Lacks and my typical privacy concerns but finally decided I wanted the health screenings offered by 23 & Me. If it was the ancestry information I wanted, I would have gone with Ancestry.com.

One of my on-going health concerns was a too-high blood iron level, well it turns out I have one gene that tends towards that, if I had two I'd be having more problems but as it is, it's ok with one, not such a concern any more now that we know (and it was retested). The amount of insomnia information wasn't what I had hoped for, but yes -- indications are that I would tend to sleep less than most people.

Like another poster, I do have more neanderthal genes than most people. And I'm related to Otzi the Iceman through my mitochondrial (maternal line) DNA.

My son's dad doesn't know much of his family history past his maternal grandparents and basically nothing about his father's side at all, and pretty much all of his relatives have died out. I've been thinking of getting him a kit and maybe one each for my son and daughter in law. Similarly, my husband actually knows a bit about his father's side of the family but not much past his maternal grandparents and nothing is written down.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Between myself and my DS we'd done the geneology research on both sides and had quite a bit of info verified with census,birth, etc going back to 1600's in some cases. So my Ancestry DNA testing didn't really present any surprises. Did connect with a 3rd cousin that I hadn't seen since I was about 5yrs. He was very appreciative as he had not family history info and my sis able to send him loads of it. I did mine because I was wondering about possible Native ancestry based on a couple of family stories and some ancestral features--nothing came up on it. My DH had his done and he actually found 2nd & 3rd cousins that he never had met on his dad's side--so it was great for him.

Iceblossom's last 4 words really sums it up..."nothing is written down". I waited too long to "get the bug" so to speak. My DH's grandmother had quite an extensive history collected, but hardly anything on my side was written down. Memories faded, or stories were passed on that lost pieces in the retelling. That's one of the reasons I'm determined to find all the info I can. I didn't know about the 23 & Me health screening. Sounds interesting!

I thought about doing this although I am doing genealogy research until I read the fine print. Most companies have the right to do what they want with the results. That bothered me. The health screening would have been beneficial at one time because my blood workup did not match parents or others in my immediate family but it makes little difference to me at this stage.

Blog Entries
    If I were adopted or perhaps the result of Fertility treatments, that I may be interested, but as far as I know I am the natural child of both my parents.

There have been so many cases of scientist using data collected for one thing for quite another and truth be told I do not trust that the data will be kept private. There have been so many data breaches over the years, that I am not going to give a company my DNA.

I also find it creepy that a company would 'connect' me with others saying they were long lost relatives. Is that something you opt into?
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I'm on the "NO" side as well. I don't want any of my DNA showing up in a Asian petri dish growing a genetically altered human baby, like they are already doing!

Many of us have skeletons in our closets & have no knowledge of them. If your ancestry was not legally written down & recorded, the word of mouth you assume to be truth can be false. They kept deep secrets back in the day, to prevent shame to the family. Women had babies out of wedlock, got married later to a different man & the child automatically assumed the mans name. There were no legal adoptions as we know them today. Many born before the early 1900's up to & including the late 1930's have no legal recorded birth certificates. If they went to church, the church kept track of marriages, births & deaths. If they did not attend a church, or moved about a lot, then no legal records were made.

Such is the case in my family. No knowledge of a close relatives father, no name, nothing. All who may have known who he was are gone. So true genes can only be researched if you have legally recorded names to go buy. Many also changed their names when they immigrated, to prevent persecution. I do have some family history, but only a couple generations back on the maternal side, as the rest is lost. More info was recorded on the paternal side. I am Italian, English, Irish, German & Native America. What a mix!

A new family member arrived at my husband's family reunion, with a few of their family in tow. The reunion was posted on FB. They turned out to be the sort of people most of us would not care to associate with. So just because they may be related some how doesn't mean you may ever want to find them or associate with them.
    Last edited by Feather3; 12-31-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast