Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anybody else tested DNA?

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    Not me. I'm not giving anyone my DNA to do with as they please, thankyouverymuch.

Agree...

and no to trying to disrupt other peoples’ lives and privacy, no discovering family secrets, ( birth mothers and birth fathers, for example...leave them alone!) I believe this crazy is the government logging DNA with willing, paying volunteers. Nope....I know who I beling too. I look into my mirror and se my parents. Chasing dead people is not my idea of fun.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I have long been intrigued by the whole DNA testing thing but I had a lot of reservations when I found out that part of the testing agreement meant giving the company all rights and access to your DNA and it could be used by industry. As it turns out that has already happened as GlaxoSmithKline, the huge pharmaceutical company just bought rights to all the DNA database of 23 and me for 4 years. Here is a link to the news article. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...3andme-n894531

There is a lot of family history I don't know and would love to but I won't find out via DNA testing. Maybe someday I will dig into genealogy history. There was some talk of some of my dad's ancestors being part of the Mormon settlers and recently my cousin, who my brother and I had lost contact with, found us. She sent me a bunch of old photos of my dad and even some old old photos that look to be from the late 1800's and one of them has an imprint from Salt Lake City photographer.

As far as Native American DNA, some tribes are vehemently against it and won't submit samples. Many will not recognize someone as being part of the tribe solely on DNA tests. I read an article recently (now I can't find it) where these particular tribes stated only the family ties and knowledge of family history along with ties to a particular tribal community are what matter and DNA samples are considered part of the person and sacred so they won't participate. Other tribes were taken advantage of with DNA. One tribe in Arizona, the Havasupai, participated in a study of their DNA by University of Arizona to try to determine why there were such high rates of diabetes among members. Later they found out their DNA was being used for other purposes. They closed their borders to all ASU researchers and sued the university for both monetary damages and return of all their samples.

My daughter did Ancestry and all was as expected except that she is 2% Middle Eastern thru the Italian strain. At first I thought someone must have a fling, but on 2nd thought, some poor woman back 3 or 4 generations was probably raped by marauding forces. We will never know and it really doesn't matter. I wouldn't have chosen to do the testing myself. But my daug. certainly had the right to do it. That does put all of us connected to her in the system which is kind of creepy to me.

Blog Entries
    No, for all the reasons stated, mainly I don't want any records of my DNA out there. If you haven't read about Henrietta Lacks (someone else mentioned her in this thread), then you might be in for an eye-opening surprise about the medicos in this country. There is enough invasion of my privacy as it is. I know enough geneology to be a member of the DAR and my husband's to be a member of the Mayflower Society. Sounds high-falutin' right? Sure, and I buy my groceries just as you do and have bills, and just don't need to know any more. We did warn our son that alcoholism is on the maternal side of my family and the paternal side of his family. Plus his family had a schizophrenic adult who lived on the streets in CA until his three daughters banded together, found him, and took him to their homes. I don't need more grief in my life. Some things are better left alone.
    Edited to add: To those who enjoy it and are happy with what they are finding out...go for it. Enjoy the process!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Statesville, NC formerly Orlando, FL and surrounding area
    I had mine done but didn't find out too much I didn't already know. On my father's side I'm mostly English with some Scottish and Irish. I'm having trouble finding out much on my mother's side of the family.

My DH always thought his ancestry was German but the test showed his as English and Irish mostly.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Absolutely NOT! You do realize they are keeping that data, right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
    We got a DNA test for our daughter's birthday and the results were very intriguing. So my hubby bought each of us a test kit for our anniversary. We're still waiting results, but I've started building a family tree and I'm astounded by what I've found. I've been able to go back five generations without paying anything yet. I'm still not finished, but may have found relatives I never knew existed living only a couple hours away. This is fascinating and it's like eating peanuts.....
    What free web sites are you using? I tried a the ancestry.com site but did not get very far before they wanted money.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Blog Entries
    I agree, no thank you. I know whats important to me. I'm a lot Indian, and then mostly what I call "hines 57" a little of everything. I have tons of relatives that I do know and I'm not impressed so I can't see where it would help me finding a bunch of people that I don't know would enrich my life. There have been lots of DNA companies also selling their info to other agencies and some people have been false imprisoned by the results not being as accurate as they claim. I'm good knowing what I know. How are you to know if the info they give you is correct or not, especially if they are selling your info to others. Who knows which companies to trust or not to trust.

That being said, if one of my kids, grand kids or great grandkids came to me and wanted to search their family background. I'd let them do it to make them happy. But me, I have no need.

There are just too many people out there trying to get rich off of someone elses back. They normally go to the ones that don't have a lot because I guess they feel we don't have all of the identity protection that people with money have to prevent it from happening or to fix it once it did happen.
    Last edited by romanojg; 12-31-2018 at 07:41 AM.
    Judy

Not for me! As some others have said, my DNA belongs to me and me alone and I do not want it in the hands of strangers who might have nefarious purpose. Additionally, I wonder how accurate the info is...you could be told anything and how could you prove or disprove it? I'm okay with my own family knowledge...I will soon enough leave this world and who will care where my ancestors came from? I think it is a great hobby for those who enjoy such. Just not me.

Blog Entries
    This is so interesting, I have not done it but I do know of people that have, a cousin of mine found out about our heart problems on my dads side of the family
    Mary

I know enough about my family so I am not interested in doing this. My husband did ancestry.com. His fraternal grandmother was full blooded Indian. My husband's info that came back showed zero Indian. So who's to say how accurate this is? Maybe more of a "gimmick" to get more $$$$$$ out of those that do it. Every time my husband logs in to look for something, he is blocked by the "pay for more info" screens.

My genealogy goes way back from others studying it. I know all of my first cousins and most of my first cousins once removed. And in touch with all for some years. My husband's goes back to 800 AD. See no reason for my DNA or his to be out there for anyone to do with whatever they want.

I think in the coming years, it's going to be a scary scenario for many because they put theirs out there. Just like all medical records now online for anyone to hack into. And they will. I'm old now, my grandparents all lived into their 80's and 90's along with great aunts and uncles. My mother turns 96 today. As someone else said, we will all live until the day chosen for Our Maker to call us home.

Quote Originally Posted by judykay View Post
    What free web sites are you using? I tried a the ancestry.com site but did not get very far before they wanted money.
    One website I know of is FamilySearch.org. They are the Church of Latter Day Saints(Mormons) and supposedly have the largest genealogical data base there is.
    Sally

Blog Entries
    I have an uncle who tested his DNA just to prove to me, my mother (whom I did not grow up around) has lied to me my whole life. She told me that my grandmother was half Cherokee. Grandma was a naturally dark complexioned person, so I just took it as truth. My mother has no Native American blood. I have no idea why she lied to me, but it is not really unexpected. Now I wonder where my brother, sister, and my oldest DD got their lovely golden complexion.....
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    oh the way things are going, we all are going to have little "chips" in us. Fitbits galore! the electrical age is here and there will be prices to pay. I can't do anything but go with "what will be will be" . society is changing.
    i did our DNA, my son tested quite close to me. so his Father's side was extremely close to my Maternal side. didn't learn much else. had my Mothers history hundreds of years back. wanted my Fathers, but no go with the DNA test for his side.

Quote Originally Posted by judykay View Post
    Besides the Familysearch site, check with your local historical society, and with your state. Public info varies from state to state. Findagrave.com also may have death and burial information. In Minnesota, most marriage information is available for free. Death certificates can be viewed at the History Center and copies made. They have lots of information on them. Cemeteries can help with grave locations.The Historical Society has free info on line. South Dakota marriage info is readily available. Google in many instances has a lot of info. Local libraries have tons of information. Also, keep an eye on Ancestry, once in awhile they offer a weekend of free searching!
    Last edited by Anniedeb; 12-31-2018 at 01:52 PM.

I have not done the DNA testing, but my daughter gave both myself and my hubby the Ancestry.com for Christmas, so we will do it. I am only curious to see if it matches the ancestry searches my Mom did. Being a Mormon, she had done extensive research for many years. My husband's mother has also done lots of research, and, yes, both sides have the information written down.
    BJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    I have an uncle who tested his DNA just to prove to me, my mother (whom I did not grow up around) has lied to me my whole life. She told me that my grandmother was half Cherokee. Grandma was a naturally dark complexioned person, so I just took it as truth. My mother has no Native American blood. I have no idea why she lied to me, but it is not really unexpected. Now I wonder where my brother, sister, and my oldest DD got their lovely golden complexion.....
    This is what I was talking about. We are learning SO much about DNA, and obviously we don't know all that there is to know. Just because your uncle has little to no Cherokee DNA in him doesn't mean she lied! It just means HE didn't get that DNA. We thought, because my husband's grandmother was African American, that her grandchildren would show 25% African DNA. Not so! One grandchild is 2%, another grandchild (same parents) is 16%.

I would be curious to know why your uncle was so adamant about you believing your mother is (was?) a liar. How does he benefit from that?

I love all the responses here from the people who are so against it, even going so far as to insinuate that people who are curious about it are unhappy with their lot. If you don't want to do it, fine, but don't judge those who are fascinated by the science.

I'm in the no camp for many of the reasons already stated. I guess I am just too much of a cynic to think the companies that get your DNA will do the right thing. I just prefer that mine stays with me. There are a lot of unintended consequences with technology and the speed at which we are embracing it; Artificial intelligence is coming sooner than most of us realize. I'm not saying I think our DNA can be used nefariously, but we don't really know that for sure do we?

Blog Entries
    yes, the percentages one can get opened my mind a bit. but then we were only following what we were told about hereditary. now they know more.

I am in the no group. Not that I think there is anything wrong with it. I just don't find it as fascinating as others do. My eldest GS would love it. He is into many research projects related to such things. My youngest GS on the other hand just considers himself a redneck and that's all he needs to know. To each his own. Enjoy your research.

Might I make a suggestion to those starting geneology research in online sites? You may want to varify with historical documents anything you find. I set up an account on one site. It should have been viewable by others but not open to editing. Someone changed my father's first name. It happened multiple times. I would change it back and in 6 months it was edited again. I quit going into the site. I have no confidence in it. It is one of the most popular sites, one that has been mentioned. I choose not to name it here, as i have chosen not to take the matter up with the site. (No public shaming).

mac
    They just did a local TV program on here in the Bay Area about DNA testing. There are certainly a lot of things to think about. One of the good things is that the police are solving cold cases because of DNA testing.

One lady found out that her father, who was a doctor and a sperm donor, fathered 30+ children and the number is still growing. Although he has since passed away, they said he was a "serial" sperm donor and his daughter had no idea. She was quite shocked, but said that she is getting used to the idea of having a bigger family since she is all alone now.

I think it is a good idea for people who may not know who their parent/s are. Some families keep deep, dark secrets and it nice to be able to shine a light on the situation.
    Last edited by mac; 01-01-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia M. View Post
    Yes, we did it, we found out that we did come from Europe, I have more Neanderthal than the average person, it is fun but I will not spend very much time with it. I like quilting better.
    We all came from Europe.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I would never do this simply because the results are kept by independent companies and they do not have to tell you what they do with or plan to do with the information-could turn into a very bad situation. Also, since only a small percentage of people (at this time) do this, I cannot see how they can have a database large enough to come up with matches back into the past. We have geneology information about family of three sides through written records that we know are accurate. I am very suspicious of the accuracy of the information from these tests.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast