Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anybody else tested DNA? >

Has anybody else tested DNA?

Has anybody else tested DNA?

Old 01-06-2023, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Mr Stitchnripper did about 5 years ago. It confirmed what the family thought. Not really a surprise but helped explain some unknown family history. It didn't cause any misery to anyone.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:29 PM

my son and I did. funny he and i have almost the exact same results. Seems his Dad's family was similar to mine. I mainly wanted to see if he had any American Indian in him since his Dad thought he did. But nope, not there. Now i get lots of emails from Ancestry with cousins names but haven't looked into those at all yet.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:06 PM

Default Dna

Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
We got a DNA test for our daughter's birthday and the results were very intriguing. So my hubby bought each of us a test kit for our anniversary. We're still waiting results, but I've started building a family tree and I'm astounded by what I've found. I've been able to go back five generations without paying anything yet. I'm still not finished, but may have found relatives I never knew existed living only a couple hours away. This is fascinating and it's like eating peanuts.....
We found a secret sister/cousin. She was adopted out to a family not connected to our family.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:32 PM

until they get a lot more native american tests in the system, and black, that is less likely to show in our own results.
My paternal grandfather's mom was Choctaw, but I'll be surprised if that shows up.
They do update the results ever so often, so eventually it will be there.

I was thinking a little while ago about the fierce pushback against this kind of testing. Now, I wouldn't have AI or Alexa in the house, yet I'll bet some of the most strident against testing use it