Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anybody else tested DNA? >

Has anybody else tested DNA?

Has anybody else tested DNA?

Old 12-31-2018, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
We got a DNA test for our daughter's birthday and the results were very intriguing. So my hubby bought each of us a test kit for our anniversary. We're still waiting results, but I've started building a family tree and I'm astounded by what I've found. I've been able to go back five generations without paying anything yet. I'm still not finished, but may have found relatives I never knew existed living only a couple hours away. This is fascinating and it's like eating peanuts.....
What free web sites are you using? I tried a the ancestry.com site but did not get very far before they wanted money.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:28 AM

I agree, no thank you. I know whats important to me. I'm a lot Indian, and then mostly what I call "hines 57" a little of everything. I have tons of relatives that I do know and I'm not impressed so I can't see where it would help me finding a bunch of people that I don't know would enrich my life. There have been lots of DNA companies also selling their info to other agencies and some people have been false imprisoned by the results not being as accurate as they claim. I'm good knowing what I know. How are you to know if the info they give you is correct or not, especially if they are selling your info to others. Who knows which companies to trust or not to trust.

That being said, if one of my kids, grand kids or great grandkids came to me and wanted to search their family background. I'd let them do it to make them happy. But me, I have no need.

There are just too many people out there trying to get rich off of someone elses back. They normally go to the ones that don't have a lot because I guess they feel we don't have all of the identity protection that people with money have to prevent it from happening or to fix it once it did happen.

Last edited by romanojg; 12-31-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:20 AM

Not for me! As some others have said, my DNA belongs to me and me alone and I do not want it in the hands of strangers who might have nefarious purpose. Additionally, I wonder how accurate the info is...you could be told anything and how could you prove or disprove it? I'm okay with my own family knowledge...I will soon enough leave this world and who will care where my ancestors came from? I think it is a great hobby for those who enjoy such. Just not me.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:35 AM

This is so interesting, I have not done it but I do know of people that have, a cousin of mine found out about our heart problems on my dads side of the family
Old 12-31-2018, 09:41 AM

I know enough about my family so I am not interested in doing this. My husband did ancestry.com. His fraternal grandmother was full blooded Indian. My husband's info that came back showed zero Indian. So who's to say how accurate this is? Maybe more of a "gimmick" to get more $$$$$$ out of those that do it. Every time my husband logs in to look for something, he is blocked by the "pay for more info" screens.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:43 AM

My genealogy goes way back from others studying it. I know all of my first cousins and most of my first cousins once removed. And in touch with all for some years. My husband's goes back to 800 AD. See no reason for my DNA or his to be out there for anyone to do with whatever they want.

I think in the coming years, it's going to be a scary scenario for many because they put theirs out there. Just like all medical records now online for anyone to hack into. And they will. I'm old now, my grandparents all lived into their 80's and 90's along with great aunts and uncles. My mother turns 96 today. As someone else said, we will all live until the day chosen for Our Maker to call us home.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
What free web sites are you using? I tried a the ancestry.com site but did not get very far before they wanted money.
One website I know of is FamilySearch.org. They are the Church of Latter Day Saints(Mormons) and supposedly have the largest genealogical data base there is.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:24 PM

I have an uncle who tested his DNA just to prove to me, my mother (whom I did not grow up around) has lied to me my whole life. She told me that my grandmother was half Cherokee. Grandma was a naturally dark complexioned person, so I just took it as truth. My mother has no Native American blood. I have no idea why she lied to me, but it is not really unexpected. Now I wonder where my brother, sister, and my oldest DD got their lovely golden complexion.....
Old 12-31-2018, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

oh the way things are going, we all are going to have little "chips" in us. Fitbits galore! the electrical age is here and there will be prices to pay. I can't do anything but go with "what will be will be" . society is changing.
i did our DNA, my son tested quite close to me. so his Father's side was extremely close to my Maternal side. didn't learn much else. had my Mothers history hundreds of years back. wanted my Fathers, but no go with the DNA test for his side.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
Besides the Familysearch site, check with your local historical society, and with your state. Public info varies from state to state. Findagrave.com also may have death and burial information. In Minnesota, most marriage information is available for free. Death certificates can be viewed at the History Center and copies made. They have lots of information on them. Cemeteries can help with grave locations.The Historical Society has free info on line. South Dakota marriage info is readily available. Google in many instances has a lot of info. Local libraries have tons of information. Also, keep an eye on Ancestry, once in awhile they offer a weekend of free searching!

Last edited by Anniedeb; 12-31-2018 at 01:52 PM.