Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 90

Thread: Has anybody else tested DNA?

  1. #51
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    217
    To judykay
    I used Ancestry.com and by using the census information I was able to go back to 1880. I did finally sign up for a subscription yesterday and now am able to access information about immigration from Wales and Germany.

  2. #52
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

    I love all the responses here from the people who are so against it, even going so far as to insinuate that people who are curious about it are unhappy with their lot. If you don't want to do it, fine, but don't judge those who are fascinated by the science.
    Agreed! That's why I said it always sparks a lively debate! I'm not chasing dead people...I'm researching my past and my family history and stories. I have no plans to contact my third cousin twice removed. I want to know my family branches on my side, and DH wants to know his tree as well. Both our sons are very interested also. One son presented a research project (as part of his graduation thesis)on his ancestors that tied into landownership, geology, and geography all based on my findings! I enjoy the journey.

  3. #53
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    1,103
    My sister did it; shows a lot of Irish and European in our background but nothing relative related. She also did a lot on genealogy with our mom; related to Miles Standish on our mom's side and have some french royalty on my dads side but she never did much research on my dad's side unfortunately. Most all my dads side have passed away. But no lost relatives but not sure she was looking for any. Although my mom did find 4 half siblings she never knew about; that she did get to meet and stayed in close touch with one of them. She'd always thought she was an only child. I was happy for her.

  4. #54
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,282
    I, too,am adopted. I am also an orphan now; no family members left. My daughter would like to know, but no way to confirm anything now. I'm not worried and she does not have any major health problems, so I think she should let it go.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by selm View Post
    One website I know of is FamilySearch.org. They are the Church of Latter Day Saints(Mormons) and supposedly have the largest genealogical data base there is.
    I am a bit leery about all of these www's. My uncle, who is LDS, posted a lot of erroneous information on the LDS site. My father did extensive research of public records and verified the "stories" passed down. When my dad would tell my uncle that his information (from his memory) was incorrect, the argument began.............

    The erroneous information is still posted on the LDS site.

  6. #56
    Super Member Kassaundra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Rural Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,841
    I have not done it yet, have been thinking about it for a while. Not sure what if anything I would find out. I know very, very little about either side of my family history. I know a tiny bit of my mother's side and NOTHING of my father's. The only reason I haven't yet is I'm not sure what the actual consequences could / would / might be for giving up such intimate privacy.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

    Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

    Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

  7. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    192
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but I have wondered if the results would be the same if you sent your DNA to two different labs. Has anyone done that? I've have my DNA done by My Heritage. If I sent my DNA to Ancestry.com would it be exactly the same?

  8. #58
    Super Member Kassaundra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Rural Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,841
    I read an article about that and one lady sent her dna to 4 companies, if I remember her article right she did get slightly different results. She was also highlighting how the different companies give different data. Not ness. different as in one wrong, but different as in concentrating on different tests or results.
    Quote Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but I have wondered if the results would be the same if you sent your DNA to two different labs. Has anyone done that? I've have my DNA done by My Heritage. If I sent my DNA to Ancestry.com would it be exactly the same?
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

    Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

    Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

  9. #59
    Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    4,776
    Blog Entries
    37
    Kassaundra is correct--each company basically targets certain features. I've most familiar with Ancestry DNA and it does not check health markers like 23 & Me, etc. Basically, it gives you information on what percentage of your markers are from different areas of the world. That can and does change a little overtime as more people enter their DNA and the pool to draw comparisons from enlarges. It does give you possible 1st, 2nd,3rd & 4th cousin matches (sibs too) IF they have also had their DNA tested--otherwise you do not get that info. It also lets you link to public record family trees on their site IF you pay their fee. Ancestry allows anyone to build their family tree in the site if a member, but most importantly, they have digitalized many, many records--ship manifests, census, military records, land titles, some newspapers, birth & death, marriage records. Anyone working on a genealogy should be verifying all information with records--technically if you don't have a verification you can not include it other than an aside.

    BTW---Homo Sapiens all came from Zimbabwe AFrica (current name) and migrated to Middle East, Asia, Europe and eventually North America. Neanderthals started in Europe--4 yrs of Anthropology classes!

  10. #60
    Super Member tuckyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,510
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have an extensive family tree on my mother's side as the records were kept in the Mennonite church. The only issue I have with DNA is WHO gets it and WHAT will they do with it? I can see both good and bad from having it out in the public domain. Especially concerning medical for folks who have specific types of disease that runs in a family. I don't even like to put stuff like that on a dr's questionnaire to be honest.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

  11. #61
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SE Iowa
    Posts
    1,598
    I am curious how far back this information can go. I have a published history of my father's family back to late 1600/early 1700's in Germany. My mother's family, only to her grandparents. Would this be beneficial to me?

  12. #62
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    St. Louis area
    Posts
    159
    I find this DNA angle very interesting. On a crime show on tv they are using DNA to help solve crimes, and they seem to be able to get DNA from all kinds of sources and achieve numerous results. Which causes me to wonder if there are more results to be obtained than these various companies are looking for. I have learned that if you are female they only look at the female line. My search is looking for info on my grandmother's father's side. So if this is so, I won't get any info (through my grandmother) as to the ancestry of my great-grandfather. Is this correct? There are no males in the line of my g-grandfather to have the test. My uncle (grandmother's son) would not work because it would follow his father. So if I understand this right, I can't find out anything about my g-grandfather's side without someone in his sons' line. Bummer! We are a family of predominately females, so that DNA is getting thinner by the day. Another thing I don't understand is how it changes depending on how many people are tested. It is what it is, isn't it?
    Peckish.....Your husband knew he had 25% how? By DNA or just knowing members of the family. The female's results might be only from the female line in the DNA. This can really become involved, but oh so fascinating, I think. I have always liked puzzle solving.
    Jan

  13. #63
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,901
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaiade View Post
    I have learned that if you are female they only look at the female line. My search is looking for info on my grandmother's father's side. So if this is so, I won't get any info (through my grandmother) as to the ancestry of my great-grandfather. Is this correct?
    I have never heard what you're saying about the female line. Where did you get this info? I'm not saying it's incorrect; I'm saying I've never heard it and would like to look into it.

    I don't think these types of DNA tests tell you specifics about your ancestors other than giving you info about your genetic makeup. It won't give you info about your great-great grandfather because he never submitted a DNA sample. However, it can tell you that you're part German, part Scandinavian, and part French.

    Finding living relatives is possible if both parties submit DNA to the same database and opt in to the possibility. If you'd rather not know, or not be known, just opt out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaiade View Post
    Another thing I don't understand is how it changes depending on how many people are tested. It is what it is, isn't it?
    Peckish.....Your husband knew he had 25% how? By DNA or just knowing members of the family.
    The databases change based on the people who are taking the tests. The more information a datebase contains, the more accurate it can be. For instance, as I said previously, another friend always thought she was part Native American, but her DNA test came back with some minuscule number like .02%. However, the Native American databases are nearly non-existent because hardly any Native Americans have submitted DNA samples. So, it's entirely possible that in 5 years, her genetic profile could change simply because the database may gain more data from Native Americans.

    My husband knew he was 25% because of family history. His grandmother's birth certificate shows she was black. She married a white man. We assume her children would then be 50% black and 50% white, and her grandchildren 25% black. But DNA doesn't split evenly like that, according to these results. That's what I find fascinating.
    Last edited by Peckish; 01-04-2019 at 06:07 PM.

  14. #64
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    St. Louis area
    Posts
    159
    Peckish, thank you for the explanation on more people being added. I understand a little better. On the female and male line, I was reading where someone was questioning why she didn't have a particular ethnic profile when her dad was, I think black, so she was looking for African and all she had was European because her mother was white, and she inquired of ancestry and they told her the test was I think the word was mitochodrial(not spelled right) which meant female to female or male to male. Something to do with the females not having Y chromosomes. If you find out differently, please let me know because this is why I mentioned I was looking with my g-grandfather.
    I bought this test over two years ago, and just sent it in last week. If it comes back with anything German, I'll know it came from him, which will I guess also change that female to female thing; or maybe not because I believe I heard it on the tv program on PBS about finding your roots also. Seems like my grandmother would have German in her DNA also. But who knows. We shall see.
    Jan

  15. #65
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    217
    An update:
    I have not gotten my DNA results, but through the family tree feature on Ancestry.com I have gotten some fascinating information about my ancestors. I found that I'm second generation Welsh, and my father's first wife, who died, has family that is searching for information about my father. Also found out that my father had siblings who are looking for him and any family. That would be me. That means I potentially have family alive somewhere living about two hours from me.
    Will I reach out to them? No, it would serve no purpose. But it is my heritage and is now backed up by fact, not just by stories diluted by time and memory. I also found more family on my mother's side that's withered away to nothing. I have to wonder if some characteristics in me were carried by past family? My father's people were Welsh miners and were tall and broad shouldered. My mother's side were tailors and accountants. I'm tall, have broad shoulders, sew and love numbers. It just sparks my imagination and frankly gives answers to questions I've had all my life.

  16. #66
    Super Member MaggieLou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Statesville, NC formerly Orlando, FL and surrounding area
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
    I am curious how far back this information can go. I have a published history of my father's family back to late 1600/early 1700's in Germany. My mother's family, only to her grandparents. Would this be beneficial to me?
    I also have a published history on my father's family but it was published in the early 1950's. From what I have been able to find so far, it is fairly accurate. So far I have gotten back to the 1200's and most of it agrees with the published version. My ancestry is mostly English, Irish and Scottish on my father's side. That may be why records are more accurate and easier to find.
    Margaret

    "If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

    Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaiade View Post
    she inquired of ancestry and they told her the test was I think the word was mitochodrial(not spelled right) which meant female to female or male to male. Something to do with the females not having Y chromosomes. If you find out differently, please let me know because this is why I mentioned I was looking with my g-grandfather.
    Mitochondrial DNA is only passed on through the female line of descent and it is passed on unchanged. I guess there is some stuff that has just came out in the last couple of months where very rarely you can get some from the Paternal line, basically you get like 200 bits of maternal information compared to 8 bits of male. But it is only part of the information presented in a DNA test. You will get some information on both sides of the family.

    It's not really my concern so I haven't really studied it, but as I understand it full blood siblings can be anywhere from around 25% to 95% of the same genes depending on how they mixed and matched.

    As I said previously, I did 23 & Me because I wanted the health screenings, already knew my family background. If you want heritage, I would go with Ancestry.Com, they have the bigger database. My mother's side of the family we have quite extensive information, or at least on some lines, through my maternal grandfather we go back to Penn (as in Pennsylvania). My father's side of the family both of his parents were basically first generation, some of their siblings were born here others not. We had direct cousins that my grandmother was able to speak to for the first time in decades once the cold war was over.

    My brother had his testing done through Ancestory. So far he has not been contacted by anyone although he has that option checked. As I said before though, it's possible if I was in the database we might get some more matches. I seem to take after my paternal grandmother (Sophia) more than any other relative. I might go ahead and do a sale version of Ancestry some day just for the fun of it, I'd be open conversations from Sophia's side of things.

    But -- what I can say is I am getting updates from 23 & Me as they expand their services they go back and re-evaluate their existing data. Their family history stuff is improving as more people use their services.

    I am very concerned about privacy information in general, but there was no other affordable way for me to get the information I wanted. I'm not sure but I think the confirmation test ordered by my doctor to find out about my Hereditary Hemochromatosis gene was around $500, compared to the $100 (on sale) 23 & Me Kit. I don't know how many other tests we would have done to find out about the high ferric levels I had (can be a sign of inflammation) before we stumbled onto genetic testing, but I had an autoimmune panel (not cheap and first test came back with a false positive, second test more expensive but more correct), a colonoscopy, and several other (again, expensive) tests done first.

  18. #68
    Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    4,776
    Blog Entries
    37
    I was telling my DH about the wide range of opinions on this thread and the concern that your submitted DNA would be used to jail someone. My DH pointed out that while that has been done, than many,many more jailed innocent people have been released after DNA tests proved their innocence. Interesting.

  19. #69
    Super Member Kassaundra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Rural Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,841
    I am not afraid of my DNA leading to someone's arrest if they did the crime they should do the time no matter how closely we are related. I am concerned about it's use against me, and not criminally since I haven't committed any crimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    I was telling my DH about the wide range of opinions on this thread and the concern that your submitted DNA would be used to jail someone. My DH pointed out that while that has been done, than many,many more jailed innocent people have been released after DNA tests proved their innocence. Interesting.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

    Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

    Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    the beach
    Posts
    608
    I haven't done it -- just because it costs money, not cause I am paranoid.

    The paranoia reflected in some of these responses seems extreme. But to each their own.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

  21. #71
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    St. Louis area
    Posts
    159
    When I commented on the crime shows using DNA I was thinking more along the lines of there being other ways of getting more information regarding ancestry, other than percentages. I think it's amazing how far technology has come and I'm sure it's still going.
    I did not opt for the "finding others" part. I just want to see if I can verify the info on this particular relative and maybe see if I can research him.
    I received notice that they received my sample, but they said they were very busy so don't expect anything under 8 weeks.
    Jan

  22. #72
    Super Member leonf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    near Topeka kansas
    Posts
    2,069
    Read a headline yesterday that siad"23 and me." is selling their info to a huge British pharmacy firm. Are insuracne companies next.. Those are my concerns.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

  23. #73
    Super Member SusieQOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    8,356
    I haven't but not because I'm against it- it just seems like a lot of work and I'm busy enough as it is. My friend has done it and it's time consuming. I guess I'm just not that interested. Maybe someday?

  24. #74
    Super Member Darcyshannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    Well, regarding concerns, privacy and as some call, paranoia there are plenty of reports that the most financially lucrative information for hackers is medical and biological information on people. In fact, some hackers have ended up changing medical records of some people leading to disastrous results. You can find these reports in a simple search.

    I think privacy concerns on all sensitive data is always part of a discussion that balances the good of sharing information with how that information will be used.

  25. #75
    Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    4,776
    Blog Entries
    37
    I agree with Darcy that providing any private data is a balancing act--we want the ease of being able to have one doc see the tests, x-rays,etc done by another doc without us driving all over to gather things and want it to be pretty instant. but we don't want just anyone to access the info either. We want our computer to notify us when our favorite on-line fabric store has a super sale, but we don't want to inundated with ads either. On FB we want to get info from all our family & friends, look up pages that interest us--but not get the junk that might interest all those other people!

    One concern I have is the use of the voice activated home computers (i.e. Alexa, Echo, etc)--basically it's turned on all the time unless you unplug it (and take out batteries if it has a backup) and it's listening to everything you say and storing that data in order to anticipate what you do/want. My son is a low voltage tech (i.e. fiber optic) and says the dang things are so easy to "hack" that he won't have one in his house. My SIL loves her's--uses to ask all sorts of stuff. Again--a balance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.