View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 02:18 AM
Feather3

I'm on the "NO" side as well. I don't want any of my DNA showing up in a Asian petri dish growing a genetically altered human baby, like they are already doing!

Many of us have skeletons in our closets & have no knowledge of them. If your ancestry was not legally written down & recorded, the word of mouth you assume to be truth can be false. They kept deep secrets back in the day, to prevent shame to the family. Women had babies out of wedlock, got married later to a different man & the child automatically assumed the mans name. There were no legal adoptions as we know them today. Many born before the early 1900's up to & including the late 1930's have no legal recorded birth certificates. If they went to church, the church kept track of marriages, births & deaths. If they did not attend a church, or moved about a lot, then no legal records were made.

Such is the case in my family. No knowledge of a close relatives father, no name, nothing. All who may have known who he was are gone. So true genes can only be researched if you have legally recorded names to go buy. Many also changed their names when they immigrated, to prevent persecution. I do have some family history, but only a couple generations back on the maternal side, as the rest is lost. More info was recorded on the paternal side. I am Italian, English, Irish, German & Native America. What a mix!

A new family member arrived at my husband's family reunion, with a few of their family in tow. The reunion was posted on FB. They turned out to be the sort of people most of us would not care to associate with. So just because they may be related some how doesn't mean you may ever want to find them or associate with them.

Last edited by Feather3; 12-31-2018 at 02:20 AM.