View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 05:42 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I have long been intrigued by the whole DNA testing thing but I had a lot of reservations when I found out that part of the testing agreement meant giving the company all rights and access to your DNA and it could be used by industry. As it turns out that has already happened as GlaxoSmithKline, the huge pharmaceutical company just bought rights to all the DNA database of 23 and me for 4 years. Here is a link to the news article. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...3andme-n894531

There is a lot of family history I don't know and would love to but I won't find out via DNA testing. Maybe someday I will dig into genealogy history. There was some talk of some of my dad's ancestors being part of the Mormon settlers and recently my cousin, who my brother and I had lost contact with, found us. She sent me a bunch of old photos of my dad and even some old old photos that look to be from the late 1800's and one of them has an imprint from Salt Lake City photographer.

As far as Native American DNA, some tribes are vehemently against it and won't submit samples. Many will not recognize someone as being part of the tribe solely on DNA tests. I read an article recently (now I can't find it) where these particular tribes stated only the family ties and knowledge of family history along with ties to a particular tribal community are what matter and DNA samples are considered part of the person and sacred so they won't participate. Other tribes were taken advantage of with DNA. One tribe in Arizona, the Havasupai, participated in a study of their DNA by University of Arizona to try to determine why there were such high rates of diabetes among members. Later they found out their DNA was being used for other purposes. They closed their borders to all ASU researchers and sued the university for both monetary damages and return of all their samples.