View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 02:00 PM
Peckish

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I have an uncle who tested his DNA just to prove to me, my mother (whom I did not grow up around) has lied to me my whole life. She told me that my grandmother was half Cherokee. Grandma was a naturally dark complexioned person, so I just took it as truth. My mother has no Native American blood. I have no idea why she lied to me, but it is not really unexpected. Now I wonder where my brother, sister, and my oldest DD got their lovely golden complexion.....
This is what I was talking about. We are learning SO much about DNA, and obviously we don't know all that there is to know. Just because your uncle has little to no Cherokee DNA in him doesn't mean she lied! It just means HE didn't get that DNA. We thought, because my husband's grandmother was African American, that her grandchildren would show 25% African DNA. Not so! One grandchild is 2%, another grandchild (same parents) is 16%.

I would be curious to know why your uncle was so adamant about you believing your mother is (was?) a liar. How does he benefit from that?

I love all the responses here from the people who are so against it, even going so far as to insinuate that people who are curious about it are unhappy with their lot. If you don't want to do it, fine, but don't judge those who are fascinated by the science.