View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 01:49 AM
Helen1983

Default Help for beginner- batting & washing

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site & new quilting. I'm writing from the UK so hoping all you experts across the pond can help me.

I'm producing a quilt as a gift for my parents who are both unwell so it's important for me to get it right, & also to try to get on & give it to them sooner rather than later. I've pieced the front & back so am just about ready to baste but now I am confused about the batting.

My local haberdashery recommended a 100% cotton batting, so I have purchased this. However, I wasn't planning on creating the wrinkled look so i'm not sure I have purchased the correct product, as reading the leaflet that came with the batting it seems as if this will happen.

On the other hand, I am not adverse to that effect & at this stage I am thinking it may just be a case of what works best.

I have prewashed the majority of fabrics used in the quilt, but not the border or two larger pieces used on the backing. I guess I still wash the front & back pieces as I have them now. I thought it best to mention this as I guess it could influence the overall effect.

I really appreciate your help as I am a real novice!

Best wishes
Helen