Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help for beginner- batting & washing >

Help for beginner- batting & washing

Help for beginner- batting & washing

Old 01-13-2019, 01:49 AM

Default Help for beginner- batting & washing

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site & new quilting. I'm writing from the UK so hoping all you experts across the pond can help me.

I'm producing a quilt as a gift for my parents who are both unwell so it's important for me to get it right, & also to try to get on & give it to them sooner rather than later. I've pieced the front & back so am just about ready to baste but now I am confused about the batting.

My local haberdashery recommended a 100% cotton batting, so I have purchased this. However, I wasn't planning on creating the wrinkled look so i'm not sure I have purchased the correct product, as reading the leaflet that came with the batting it seems as if this will happen.

On the other hand, I am not adverse to that effect & at this stage I am thinking it may just be a case of what works best.

I have prewashed the majority of fabrics used in the quilt, but not the border or two larger pieces used on the backing. I guess I still wash the front & back pieces as I have them now. I thought it best to mention this as I guess it could influence the overall effect.

I really appreciate your help as I am a real novice!

Best wishes
Helen
Old 01-13-2019, 03:05 AM

Hi Helen and welcome. I would not wash your unquilted front and back pieces. You will end up with a mess of tangles and strings.

As to washing the batting...with 100% cotton batting you will get some shrinkage. If that is not the look you prefer - and many don't - depending on what the package directions say, you can wash/pre-shrink the batting. You have to be very careful thought that you don't end up with a mess of wet cotton in your washer! Read the directions on your packaging carefully before attempting.

There was a thread here on the board about this just yesterday. I'm horrible at being able to find those things but I'm sure someone will come along shortly and provide a link for you.

Good luck with your quilt and hope your parents will be on the mend soon.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

for a less wrinkled look, i like an 80/20 blend like this https://www.creativegrids.com/acatalog/info_HL120.html
Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 01-13-2019, 03:45 AM

When we quilt we learn some things simply by experience. And, I think it important to use those experiences as opportunity to make different choices the next time. From my own experiences over many years I would make the following observations. Cotton batting does shrink when washed as does cotton fabric. To minimize this appearance I do not wash either beforehand. Both shrink but it is not as obvious because both shrink at almost the same rate. When you prewash some of the fabric, it is already shrunk when you add the unwashed batting. The batting shrinks and makes the fabric look more crinkly. Contrary to what someone else said, I would wash the unwashed fabric. You can put the border pieces in a lingerie bag to control the strings. If the backing pieces have had the selvedges cut off, wash them on the gentle cycle or simply soak them and dry them flat rather than agitate them in the dryer. If you choose 80/20 batting you will have somewhat less shrinkage. If you use polyester you will have no shrinkage in the batting and some shrinkage of the cotton fabrics unless you wash it first. However, the feel of the quilt and the warmth are greatly affected by the batting. I, over the years, have tried all these combinations. My preference is 80/20 batting and unwashed fabric. I always wash a quilt before gifting or using. I dry them flat on a plastic painters drop cloth. I do use other batting, like silk or wool when I want a special effect-but I wash everything after construction. I wish you well in your quilting journey.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 AM

Helen, welcome to the QB. I’m sure you will get plenty of suggestions and those who prewash and those who don’t. Just as Nan and Purpledog have mentioned, I also use Hobbs 80/20 and I do not prewash. We would love to see your quilt when it’s finished. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:17 AM

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! You will get plenty of help from us experienced quilters here. I use any batting on sale, including poly since it is usually less expensive. I find that it is the most forgiving. Just remember that there are no "quilting police" and that your quilt will cherished by your parent. Wishing you much happy quilting time!
Old 01-13-2019, 06:31 AM

I prewash Warm and Natural batting. I put it in the washer in hot water and leave the lid on the washer open so it doesn't agitate. I let it soak until it is really wet. Then I turn the washer on spin cycle and get the water out. Then I put it in the dryer. I hand quilt and the batting is softer and easier to qullt that way....to me any way. I do not let the washer agitate because i was told it would ruin the batting. Once the quilt is finished, then by all means agitate when washing.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

You don't have to wash the batting in water to get it to shrink. Spray it with water until lightly misted. Then put in dryer on high heat. The wet heat will shrink the batting. No need for the wet soggy heavy wad of batting to wrangle.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I pre-wash my fabrics to reduce shrinkage, avoid bleeding, and get rid of chemicals left by manufacturing, but I never pre-wash the cotton batting. Occasionally an unwashed piece of fabric gets into the quilt (usually because it was a pre-cut) and I don't worry about it. I do quilt fairly heavily, and that reduces the puffy look, but that's not the reason for the heavier quilting. There are so many ways to handle washing and not washing quilt fabrics and batting that there is no "right" way. Do what makes sense to you and don't stress out over it.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 AM

I never prewashed a batting. I do put it in my dryer to get the folds out. I use Hobbs 80/20 consistently. I would love to use wool but my grandson is allergic and the one quilt I made with wool batting made him itch.