View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 AM
1screech

I look at the fabrics from JoAnn's in the light to see the thickness. I buy from quilt tores and from JoAnn's and I also buy the waverly solids from Walmart and some prints. I have made baby quilts and they have held up fine. I used Moda in a quilt for my daughter and it was during a time where moda seemed to be using a lower quality Griege?(fabric b/4 dyeing). Her quilt faded terribly in a fairly short time. She does wash her quilts frequently, but when a oJoAnn's baby quilt is washed and holds up better than a Moda quilt, something is strange. I feel and closely inspect my fabrics no matter where I buy them. I have found that solids ravel more and I could not see a difference in Waverly solid from Walmart and regular solids in a quilt store. I studied them side by side. I needed another fabric for a table runner I was making for my daughter. The quilt stores were closed. I ran to Walmart and found a color that would work. Honestly I could not tell the difference in the weave or feel of the solids. I have only been quilting for 13 years, but I have never had anything fall apart. The first two quilts I made my daughter have faded terrible. One was Moda and the other a mixture of big box and quilt store. They faded about the same, but she does wash them all the time because she has dogs and they get on the bed. I made my first quilt 13 years a go for my granddaughter when she was born. It has been washed several hundred times and it has held up fine. We have had to replace the binding. Amazing that these fabrics have pretty much held their colors and not faded much either. Look at your fabrics carefully in all places you buy. Some of the stiffer fabrics do have sizing in them. I bought some fabrics from Germany at a quilt show and they were so stiff. The vendor told me the sizing used made them not as soft as other fabrics. They were fine when washed. Hope this helps.